Tawkon (Radiation monitoring) for iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by akarmenia, Mar 23, 2011.

1. akarmenia macrumors member

akarmenia

The Tawkon app is now available through the modmyi.com repo in Cydia. When I first looked at it winterboard was in the dependencies, along with a library. I decided to try bypassing winterboard and installed the deb instead from this URL:

http://apt.modmyi.com/pool/main/c/com.tawkon.tawkon/

The problem is the app launches but nothing happens when you try to detect radiation. I think the problem is that it needs the extra library. The other problem is that cydia now lists no dependencies anymore, and I can't find the name of the library.

Could anyone here look up tawkon in cydia and tell me what it tries to install?

Thanks!

2. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Last I checked, the iPhone doesn't have a built-in geiger counter.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

If you look at it, it was to monitor the RF output of the phone, probably through the use of some fancy math.

4. akarmenia thread starter macrumors member

akarmenia

Yes it doesn't have a Geiger counter, just approximates.

5. akarmenia, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

akarmenia thread starter macrumors member

akarmenia

So can anyone check the dependencies in cydia when you try to install?

EDIT: Actually, the app is working fine, the radiation level was showing 0 so I thought it wasn't working. Just tried to hug my phone and it seemed to effect it.

6. amit.lubovsky macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

tawkon interfaces the cellular protocol stack that manages the baseband, extracting RF parameters which are injected to our algorithm -> output are dynamic SAR values (Specific Absorption Rate) which denote the user exposure to non-ionizing-radiation.

together with the phone usage e.g. distant/close to the body (proximity sensor) the way the phone is held (horizontal/vertical - accelerometer) the audio route (bluetooth, headset, speaker), tawkon determines whether the user is exposed or not to cellular radiation.

WRT being in "zero", well most of the time in urban areas (90-95%) you'll be in the "green" (as the cellular coverage is pretty good) while the rest (5-10%) you'll be in the "red", this is when tawkon kicks in.

the problem is that in terms of exposure, the difference between green and red is few hundred times more , so 1 min in "red" equals a couple of hours in "green" ....tawkon is your glasses, we let you see radiation and take action, which is e/o the day make you a responsable and a clever user.

check it out - search for tawkon in Cydia,

Amit Lubovsky
    Co-Founder
    tawkon

7. akarmenia thread starter macrumors member

akarmenia

Thanks for the info Amit, keep up the good work!

8. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

ohhhhhh, I see. You're approximating the SAR from the RF signal. Non-ionizing. With all the talk about the nuclear reactors in Japan releasing radiation, I just assumed this app was to detect nuclear (ionizing) radiation. Makes sense now, thanks. :)

Just out of curiosity, what "RF parameters" are you using?