Tax-free weekend ideas?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dmaxdmax, Jul 27, 2014.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

SC has a sales tax holiday next weekend and I need 2 macbook airs for my twin girls. They're entering HS so I can't get student pricing (dammit). Best Buy has a few dollars off but their site doesn't have 8GB RAM models.

Any brilliant ideas of how to take advantage of this or should I just order from B&H and be done with it? It's a 90 minute drive to the nearest Apple Store.

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

With free shipping, I have found B&H hard to beat. Got my last two Macs there - last month I got a new Mini and it was the same price as a refurb from Apple because of sales tax. :)

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

What applications are your daughters using that require 8GB of RAM? Up until a few months ago, I had a 2010 MBA with 2GB of RAM, and it ran perfectly on Mavericks. I watched movies, browsed the web, wrote, and did some light gaming (Portal 2, League of Legends). I only upgraded to a 2014 MBA because a relative wanted my computer. If your daughters are using VMs or professional photography applications, then spend the extra $250 on 8GB of RAM ($800 for baseline at BB, $1050 for 8GB on apple.com), but otherwise the upgrade will not provide any benefit in the next 4-5 years. I would recommend the baseline model to 95% of people.

4. anewman143 macrumors regular

anewman143

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You should still be able to get student pricing.

Be careful though. Many states have caps on individual purchase prices. I waited for the tax free weekend last year to buy my new Mac, only to discover later that Alabama has a $900 cap so I was stuck for the 10% sales tax.

6. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

How? Just hope for a friendly associate?

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You have to do it through the website.