Tax Free Weekend Lines

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leeschill, Jul 26, 2010.

1. leeschill macrumors member

Ok, who's patiently waiting for tax free weekend? I'll be upgrading my white 'fossil' macbook to a mb pro. How are the lines during tax free hours? Brutal, order online?

2. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

3. swamesp macrumors regular

For TN, it is on aug first weekend... I'm eagerly awaiting to shop at that time... I will be buying 13" MBP finally :p....

4. vant macrumors 65816

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It differs from state to state, and even then each states dictates conditions and rules. For instance in Massachusetts when that had it 2 years ago (they didn't offer it last year) They capped the cost at 2,500 so some of the Macs apple sells would not have qualified.

By the same token we "Mass-Holes" as some new hamphire folks call us ;) Just drive to New Hampshire to buy our computers since they have no sales tax

6. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

7. jsc19702 macrumors newbie

Same with me, I live in Delaware.

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

New Hampshire.

I dont understand the lines for tax free day. If there was a 7% off day at every store, nobody would really care.

9. Sequin macrumors regular

Tax free weekend starts on the 6th in NC. I can't wait! That's when I'll be ordering my MBP. It's sad really. I've been saving for months and I remember thinking... well I could wait for tax free weekend, but god is that far away. Now it's less than two weeks.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The lines at Lenox in Atlanta are always long for tax free weekend

11. farmermac macrumors 6502a

So nobody in this thread orders on Amazon or other e-retailers that dont charge tax all year around?

12. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

true dat

13. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Parents live in a state with no sales tax, I go to school in a state with sales tax.

I made a visit back home to pick up my MBP a week ago :p

14. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

Georgia is not having theirs this year. It didn't pass the state legislator.

If you're a student in Georgia, particularly a university student, take advantage of Amazon's tax free status and the one year of free Amazon Prime (2-day shipping).

15. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

That's the route I took. Got my brand spanking new 15" i7 MBP for $2k with no tax and Prime overnight shipping for $4!! :eek: Can't beat Amazon with those prices!

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The tax free weekends are targeted at back to school shoppers. A lot of the people that wait for them wait to get them because they qualify for the EDU discount. In the end, some will get:
    • EDU Pricing -$50-$150
    • "Free" iPod touch
    • No Tax
    That's not something Amazon can do.

Finally, unless you live in a state that doesn't have sales tax, the purchaser is required to pay the tax after the fact. Few do and only a couple retailers like Apple charge the customers - but, just so no one leaves with the wrong idea: you legally are required to pay tax.

"But Mommy, they said there was no tax on teh internets"