Tax Free Weekend Lines

leeschill

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Ok, who's patiently waiting for tax free weekend? I'll be upgrading my white 'fossil' macbook to a mb pro. How are the lines during tax free hours? Brutal, order online?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It differs from state to state, and even then each states dictates conditions and rules. For instance in Massachusetts when that had it 2 years ago (they didn't offer it last year) They capped the cost at 2,500 so some of the Macs apple sells would not have qualified.

By the same token we "Mass-Holes" as some new hamphire folks call us ;) Just drive to New Hampshire to buy our computers since they have no sales tax

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire.

I dont understand the lines for tax free day. If there was a 7% off day at every store, nobody would really care.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
Tax free weekend starts on the 6th in NC. I can't wait! That's when I'll be ordering my MBP. It's sad really. I've been saving for months and I remember thinking... well I could wait for tax free weekend, but god is that far away. Now it's less than two weeks.

demonsavatar

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Parents live in a state with no sales tax, I go to school in a state with sales tax.

I made a visit back home to pick up my MBP a week ago :p

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Georgia is not having theirs this year. It didn't pass the state legislator.

If you're a student in Georgia, particularly a university student, take advantage of Amazon's tax free status and the one year of free Amazon Prime (2-day shipping).

cc2096

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
So nobody in this thread orders on Amazon or other e-retailers that dont charge tax all year around?
That's the route I took. Got my brand spanking new 15" i7 MBP for $2k with no tax and Prime overnight shipping for $4!! :eek: Can't beat Amazon with those prices!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
So nobody in this thread orders on Amazon or other e-retailers that dont charge tax all year around?
The tax free weekends are targeted at back to school shoppers. A lot of the people that wait for them wait to get them because they qualify for the EDU discount. In the end, some will get:
  • EDU Pricing -$50-$150
  • "Free" iPod touch
  • No Tax
That's not something Amazon can do.

Finally, unless you live in a state that doesn't have sales tax, the purchaser is required to pay the tax after the fact. Few do and only a couple retailers like Apple charge the customers - but, just so no one leaves with the wrong idea: you legally are required to pay tax.

"But Mommy, they said there was no tax on teh internets"