Tax free weekend?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fedup flyer, Jun 20, 2012.

1. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Howdy all,
    I have a question about Apple and the upcoming tax free weekend.
    I am looking at buying the new generation Macbook Air to replace my aging AI Macbook. I am planning on buying a custom config from Apple and I plan on waiting for the tax free weekend to save a few shekels.
    Does anyone know if the Apple Store website will accept the tax free weekend for my State? or do I have to buy it directly from a brick and mortar store to save tax?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's online store does honor the tax free weekend, at least it does for Massachusetts. With that said, apple does not generally charge your credit card, i.e., complete the sale until it ships the laptop. If there's a delay you may miss the weekend and its possible they'll charge you the tax.

I'm not entirely sure about that but its something to look into

3. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

How long does it usually take for them to process the sale and complete it? It would be really nice to be able to save quite a few bucks.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Usually the timeframes shown on the website are accurate. Which configuration are you looking for? It is possible the store will have them in stock, so if you want to be sure you get the tax break maybe call and ask them so you can go to the brick-and-mortar store.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It depends on what you're looking for. The standard MBPs are currently in stock and you should be all set. Going the BTO route and adding ram, faster cpu or SSD, will complicate matters so its really hard to discern what will happen.

6. idencustom macrumors member

On Tax Free weekend... or you sure your state allows breaks for computers over $750?

Most states do not.

7. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

Yeah, I'll be adding ram and the sort. I'll just order the day tax free weekend starts and go from there. If the taxes are there, that won't be a problem either. It will only be just a little more money.

----------

I've heard of a couple people buying theirs and having no problem with it. I'm hoping my state allows it.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

What state is that? You can probably look up online at the state's website to see what is covered and what isn't.

9. mds macrumors 6502

When is Tax Free weekend and how do I take advantage of it?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It all depends where you live. In the US, some states (not all) offer a tax free weekend to spur sales, usually near the end of summer as parents purchase school supplies.

I can't speak of any possible tax free incentives outside the US, but as mentioned many states in the US do it once a year

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Unfortunately Texas is VERY limited on our tax free weekend:

12. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

It's Missouri. Here's what it states:

*Personal computers that don't cost more than $3,500 and computer peripheral devices that don't exceed $3,500.

I think it's safe to say that I'll be able to get it tax free. :)

13. KPOM macrumors G5

Nice. So I guess it's safe to say that you aren't planning to get the top-of-the-line Retina MacBook Pro. In any case, too bad New York doesn't have a tax free weekend. Avoiding 8.875% would be nice.

14. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

Yeah, I won't have enough money saved by then if I did. Nor do I really have any use for the Retina MBP, seeing as I don't really do much photography and editing pictures. I may do a bit of light gaming. Lol

That really sucks that you guys don't have tax free weekend. :/

15. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I bought my MBA last year during tax free weekend in Louisiana. Also bought it with an educational discount and had it delivered to a hotel.

Bear in mind, tax-free weekend only applies to the sales tax but you still have to pay some kind of state (or federal) tax, can't remember what exactly.

I had a few chats with Apple CS if this could be done, but now I see that all of it wasn't really worth it that much, but nice to save a few bucks.

16. mds macrumors 6502

Wow, I've never heard of this. Perhaps that is because I live in California.

17. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

LOL, my comment was deleted. I was cynical if somebody here didn't understand me. I have shekels country passport, so I can make jokes about them ;)

18. fedup flyer thread starter macrumors regular

Huh?
    There is no such thing as a Federal Sales Tax (yet) on consumer goods.
    Tax free weekend is just that, no taxes on designated items.

19. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Like I said, I can't remember what exactly it was called but I can assure you that I did pay some kind of tax.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

Local sales tax, perhaps?

21. fedup flyer thread starter macrumors regular

You must not be old enough to pay any sort of tax.
    I am not sure what tax free means where you live but in most parts it means NO TAX.
    No sales tax, no local tax, no federal tax, no monkey on your head tax.

22. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Ok, seems like you're trying to be a smart ass and persuade me against what not only heard but experienced. I'm telling you - I paid some sort of tax. Why would I lie to you? I'm trying to help you. But no problem, act smarter than you are and you will get burnt.