Tax free weekend

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mario-64, Aug 1, 2014.

1. mario-64 macrumors regular

Does anyone know how the Apple store handles tax free weekends exactly? I know they honor it but what if it takes until Monday to ship? Would I still get tax free? Also, my state limits PC's to $1,500 and under. Do they just apply tax to the amount above that (if any)? Thanks

2. twoehr macrumors member

I would share the state in question, as they don't all do it the same.

If your state doesn't charge it upfront I would make sure Apple knows and then I'd expect them to only charge any amount above the limit. I don't think your shipping time should be an issue, as even though your credit card (assuming that's how you're paying) won't be charged until it is shipped, if you look at your receipt the purchase date will be the day it was ordered.

If your state rebates it back to you, then you just need to make sure of the aforementioned dating of the receipt.

Happy purchasing!

3. mario-64 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry it's Tennessee

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The state has a page with the rules. Order and pay date is what they use, even if payment is delayed by vendor until shipment. Layaways do not count.

There is nothing I can find about the above $1,500 question. I would love to know. As far as I can tell, the purchase does not count, but not 100% sure.

Will Apple do the tax free - yes. All retailers required to do it.

5. mario-64 thread starter macrumors regular

Found out today that if the total price exceeds $1,500 the entire amount is taxable. They don't just tax you on the amount above that :(

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Similar in GA. That is why I have anything purchased from Apple on tax free weekend shipped to family in SC where there is no computer cost limit on their tax free weekend.

Right now it is hard to beat the deals at Adorama. http://prices.appleinsider.com/#applecare

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I was in Western NC and almost drove to SC due to no limit. Decided I would be okay getting entry level 15"

15" 256/8gb

BestBuy - on sale at $1799 (older version-from last week!!)

10% off for movers coupon
    $100 of for education
    Down to $1438 or something like that.
    no tax

beat the hell out of any online deal.

Oh yea, I got the BestBuy credit card. Get $140 back in rewards credit too.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Each state is different. Here in Massachusetts, the ceiling is 2,000. Of course all you have to do is drive an hour over the border to New Hampshire and get what you want tax free all the time.