Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Walt Dizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Is anyone buying a Macbook on Apple.com on tax-free weekend? I live in the U.S. in South Carolina and the Department of Revenue site says there's no price limit on how much you can get tax free, but Apple keeps saying that the limit is $1,500. What the :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: ?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
For North Carolina there is a $3,500 limit. Hmm... this is what Apple Says for S. Carolina:
Apple Tax Holiday Terms said:
South Carolina Sales Tax Holiday August 7, 2009, to August 9, 2009

To qualify for the tax exemption, the purchase must be made during the sales tax holiday period by an individual for personal use. Computers, printers, printer supplies, books and computer software qualify for this holiday. Computer accessories such as monitors, keyboards, mice, scanners and AppleCare products are also exempt if sold with a computer. Please visit the South Carolina Department of Revenue website for complete terms and conditions for the sales tax holiday.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Is anyone buying a Macbook on Apple.com on tax-free weekend? I live in the U.S. in South Carolina and the Department of Revenue site says there's no price limit on how much you can get tax free, but Apple keeps saying that the limit is $1,500. What the :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: ?

Sure, there's no limit on the total purchase. However, there is a limit per item. In Georgia the limit is $1500. In Alabama, the limit is $750 for a computer. In Mississippi, computers aren't even eligible. So, the $1500 limit Apple is talking about is the cap that's been put on the price of a single item eligible for tax-free status.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I'll probably end up driving a car-less friend to my local Apple store during the tax holiday so he can pick up a 13" MacBook Pro. I don't see any point in ordering online and having to wait when there is instant-gratification only a short drive away!

tripletaker

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Just bought a 13" MBP during Georgia's tax free weekend. Bought it from the online Apple Store and they didn't charge tax. Plus, I got a free iPod Touch too!

Rodent

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Where can you find which states offer this? Can't seem to find a page on the apple site... Thanks for any help!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
For instance, in CA...so long as I order FROM Amazon and not a 3rd party merchant, I never have to pay sales tax. Lemme go back and add that as an edit, that Amazon has to be the vendor, whoops.
You don't pay up front, you still have to actually legally have to pay tax. This has been discussed a couple of times, here is one example.

Astrophys

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
There was a huuuuge line at the Kansas City Apple store, at least 100 people at 5:30 am. I walked out of the store at 7 am and the line was around the block. They are no charging tax on the ipod touch or classic in KC. They said they had 70 employees working this morning.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
gimme a ****ing break you think people are going to self moderate when it comes to taxes?

I did not say I was going to report you to the IRS, but, it is valuable for people to know that even if they don't get charged tax, that does not mean they completely avoided it. I am not sure how audits and this sort of thing work out.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Waited for near four hours today at Crabtree in Raleigh. It was like Disneyland. A long line outside with concierge whatevers standing guard at the door with serious ninja clipboards and big displays on either side of the door so you couldn't really see inside the store. Well after waiting in line for over 2 hours, you get to go in the store. GREAT SUCCESS, right? Nope. Another line!!!! Serious, just like those line traps at Disney. At least it was inside with air conditioning, those poor bastaads at SouthPoint were in line in the southern sun's heat & humididity.

Insult to injury - 1st 13"MBP DOA. Seriously. Bad HDD or something - it wouldn't recognize there was a HDD but booted fine from the CD/DVD.

I almost peed my pants because I had three cups of coffee before getting in line and was by myself and my fellow line waiters took no freakin' prisoners because they had to pee too and first one who blinked lost.

Typing this on second unit. Seems okay I guess.

Saved >$500 so won't complain too much.

SecretAznMan7

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah I thought about heading out to Crabtree or Southpoint, figured the lines would be pretty bad though. Ended up ordering my MBP online (with a quick phone call needed to sort out the tax-free). But yeah, NC's limit is $3500.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Yeah I thought about heading out to Crabtree or Southpoint, figured the lines would be pretty bad though. Ended up ordering my MBP online (with a quick phone call needed to sort out the tax-free). But yeah, NC's limit is $3500.

When I returned my DOA at around 7:30 this evening the lines were down to about 30-45 minutes wait. The tax free thing screwed up my online ordering because of the unfriendly Apple ordering page. The MBP was, the 16GB ipod Touch wasn't, the printer was.. It just got to be too frustrating.

A kid with a lemonade stand at Southpoint would have made a small fortune though.

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Ordered mine online.

mbp - $1099
touch 8gb - $229
photosmart c4680 - $99.95

tax = $0
total = $1427.95

I did this last year and they charged me tax on the ipod. I'm happy to see it's tax free this year - saved me an extra $15.50!

Dragomer

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
I bought my first mac this weekend :D

I got it from Best Buy... had to wait about 2 hours. However, I was able to convince them to give me the student discount and a free ipod touch. They were out of the 8gb Ipod touch, so they gave me a 16gb ipod touch for free. I already had a 32gb one so I sold it for 230 (good friend).

So....

13 Macbook pro normal price $1199

-100 student discount
-230 selling of ipod touch
and no tax
=
$869

I think thats a pretty good deal :D :D

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
$230? Judging by what I see on Ebay, I think you'll be doing good if you can clear $170 for the ipod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.