Tax Help with 2 w2's from same company

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by I3eXa, Feb 2, 2008.

1. I3eXa macrumors 6502

OK, I lived 1 month in idaho, and 11 in hawaii for 2007. I transferred with the same company and received a w2 for each state. My idaho one's boxes 1-8 are blank though, but 15-17 are there. Everything looks fine on my hawaii w2 though. Do i just enter them as shown or do I have to do anything with combining my total income and adjust for the period of time spent in each state???? I'm so freakin confused!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

for the federal tax for just sum everything up, they don't care where you lived or worked.

For the state forms, each state has different rules about how to deal with part year residency and earnings from other states. You'll have to follow the specific instructions from each state, and you'll probably have to fill out a longer form.

3. I3eXa thread starter macrumors 6502

i tried that but then it brings me down federal taxes from +1205.00 to -800!!!! That can't be right. Anyone else with any words of advice?

4. I3eXa thread starter macrumors 6502

no one smart enough to tackle this one or what??

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok, so your Idaho one just shows the state taxes that were taken out for Idaho state taxes, all your federal withholding is on your Hawaii one.

I don't see the problem. If only one of your box 1's has anything in it, then that is your wages for the year.

Edit: I'm assuming that is you add together the box 16 numbers from both forms you get the box 1 number from the form that has it filled in.

Edit2: Essentially, your Hawaii W2 is showing your total earnings, your federal withholding, and your Hawaii withholding, whereas your Idaho W2 is only showing your Idaho withholding.