Tax implacations for selling the watch online.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TrickyBAM, Apr 14, 2015.

1. TrickyBAM macrumors newbie

Will the revenue for the Apple Watch be any different because it's sold online exclusively? Will this avoid any local, state, federal, or foreign taxes?

Locally all I can think of is the apple store in malls won't have to pay the percentage of the profits to the malls owner.

If you walk into the mall apple store will they direct you to the computer to make the purchase online? I don't see how that's different from just ringing you up at the cash register.

Good for apple if this works better for them. I'm just curious how it affects apples profits.

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

In answer to your questions:

In the U.S., if there is a physical Apple Store in your state, then you still pay tax.

Online selling doesn't really effect Apple's profit. It just speeds up delivery as the Watches come off the assembly line. Once stock exceeds demand, they will shift to also selling it in stores too.

3. nasa25 macrumors 65816

You'd pay state/provincial tax based on your location. Wouldn't be any different than buying at your local Apple Store

4. TrickyBAM thread starter macrumors newbie

Copy. Thanks for the reply Bryan Bowler, and nasa25.

5. jst1nt macrumors regular

jst1nt

Also if you buy the watc and sell it for a profit, that is a capital gain that has to be reported on your 1040.... or sell it at less than purchased, it is a loss....

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409.html

6. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Good luck with that. None of us EBay users do that. or at least I should say most of us are not going to tell the IRS if we sold something for a profit.