Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rstafford84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
I have yet to pay taxes in my life, so I don't really know what they need in regards to tax documents on iTunes Connect. Is my SSN all that's needed for now? And since that means I have had no contact with the IRS, am I exempt from backup withholdings?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Undoubtedly Apple will 1099 you and send a copy to the IRS. WA laws are fairly clear. If you earn a certain amount of money per year you're required to file taxes.

Are you working as an individual or did you start a company (LLC, S-CORP, etc?)

I would start reading here.
You will undoubtedly need to file a 2009 1040 but remember, your PC just became a deduction. ;)

rstafford84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
I'm working as an individual. From my understanding, WA laws state that I don't need to file taxes until I earn $400 a year. Since I don't yet, does that mean I just submit my SSN as my TIN and when (if) I do start earning that much from app sales, then I have to file?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Undoubtedly Apple will 1099 you and send a copy to the IRS.

Apple is currently not sending out 1099's to App store developers. You have to keep track on your own, and figure out (or have your tax accountant figure out) where to put the income on your tax return or your corporate tax return. It gets even more interesting with income from certain regions (Japan, etc.)

But IANAL/IANAA, so consult your own...

If you don't earn $250 in any one region, Apple may not even pay you at all (read the iTune schedule agreement before clicking).

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Yes, just provide apple your SSN. They don't provide 1099s and I'm pretty sure don't do withholding unless it's under a court order or something.

Keep track of your earnings and of your expenses. If WA has state income tax you'll probably need to file that as well as federal.

For relatively small amounts of income and expenses you can have all the calculations done by one of the tax-programs like turbotax.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.