Tax Information for iTunes Connect

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by rstafford84, Jul 24, 2009.

  1. rstafford84 macrumors newbie

    Jul 17, 2009
    I have yet to pay taxes in my life, so I don't really know what they need in regards to tax documents on iTunes Connect. Is my SSN all that's needed for now? And since that means I have had no contact with the IRS, am I exempt from backup withholdings?
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
  3. rstafford84 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 17, 2009
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    Undoubtedly Apple will 1099 you and send a copy to the IRS. WA laws are fairly clear. If you earn a certain amount of money per year you're required to file taxes.

    Are you working as an individual or did you start a company (LLC, S-CORP, etc?)

    I would start reading here.
    You will undoubtedly need to file a 2009 1040 but remember, your PC just became a deduction. ;)
  5. rstafford84 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 17, 2009
    I'm working as an individual. From my understanding, WA laws state that I don't need to file taxes until I earn $400 a year. Since I don't yet, does that mean I just submit my SSN as my TIN and when (if) I do start earning that much from app sales, then I have to file?
  6. firewood macrumors 604

    Jul 29, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Apple is currently not sending out 1099's to App store developers. You have to keep track on your own, and figure out (or have your tax accountant figure out) where to put the income on your tax return or your corporate tax return. It gets even more interesting with income from certain regions (Japan, etc.)

    But IANAL/IANAA, so consult your own...

    If you don't earn $250 in any one region, Apple may not even pay you at all (read the iTune schedule agreement before clicking).
  7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68040


    Sep 2, 2008
    Yes, just provide apple your SSN. They don't provide 1099s and I'm pretty sure don't do withholding unless it's under a court order or something.

    Keep track of your earnings and of your expenses. If WA has state income tax you'll probably need to file that as well as federal.

    For relatively small amounts of income and expenses you can have all the calculations done by one of the tax-programs like turbotax.
  8. Vizin macrumors 6502a

    Jun 30, 2007
    The $99 dev program fee too!

Share This Page