Tax preparation software

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jan 7, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I got one of my W2s today (still waiting on one from a previous employer :() and from the looks of things, I have a nice refund coming my way so the sooner I get my return filed, the better :D

Just wondering what all of you guys use. In the past, I used Turbo Tax's free online edition, that did free e-file for federal and state, but it looks like that ship has sailed, as they're charging now for state preparation and e-file, so now I'm looking for the cheapest option for preparation and e-file (I suppose I could mail in state if there's an outrageous e-file fee, but I at least need state prep). Tax Cut seems to be a bit cheaper, but I'm wondering if there's a third option out there that would be even better, or if Tax Cut is about as good as I'm going to get.

BTW, I have no preferences between online based and software based, as long as the software runs on a Mac.

2. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

TurboTax worked for me last year, with a complicated capital-gains situation. Boxed version.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I used a version of Turbo Tax last year that had free federal and state filing. It was called the "freedom" or "patriot" edition (or something as equally as ridiculous). You're eligible to use it if you're veteran or if you make under a certain amount of money.

EDIT:

Nevermind. Found the link here:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/buying-and-billing/product-details/1516.html

Main link here.

Check back in the middle of the month to use it.

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Oh cool. They have that link hidden on their website.

Not sure if I qualify or not, my AGI might be over $30,000 once I get my W2 from my other job, I don't remember how much I made there.

5. leishan macrumors 6502

My sister-in-law is an accountant and she uses TurboTax to do mine. I usually have a pretty complicated return and she has no issues with it.

6. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I just use an online tax site - H&R Block online. I have used it for two years now, with good results.

7. martmart22 macrumors newbie

Tax Cut printing problem

I used Tax Cut last year with no problems. But I've tried to print a couple completed schedule forms (a 1040 and a Schedule A) from the current Tax Cut program and find the forms' text print properly but the income tax data that I have entered results in very faint print. The numbers are so faint that I would not be able to file the return without going over the numbers with a pen. This only happens when I print a form "for filing" - not a draft form. I'm thinking about buying Turbo Tax to replace Tax Cut.

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I use taxact.com

$13 to file state and fed.

Easy to use. Asks you a lot of questions to help you get a good return.

9. pooky macrumors 6502

I used to user turbotax, although last year I switched to Tax Cut. There was a reason, and it was a good one, and I've forgotten it. Not complaints so far with Tax Cut.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Turbotax for years now, so I'm not sure what the free ones look like...

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am a Tax Attorney who has worked for the IRS previously

I recommend TurboTax for people who aren't sure exactly what to do

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I used the free turbo tax edition. It was a lot easier to follow than Taxcut. Plus it would let me claim my moving expensive. Tax cut would say I was not code was not eligiable because I could not figure out to do it. Load of crap.

Turbo tax let me enter it. That made the difference between me owing the goverment $1 and instead I get a $11 refund.

That and Turbo tax made it a lot easier for me to understand the $600 in tax credit I was eligible for because I was not eligible for the $600 stimulus they gave out based on 07 returns (I did not file in 07 due to making no money).

Basically Turbo tax saved me roughly $611 this year that tax cut would not of saved me due to poor explaining and working. I would of paid all that if it was not for turbo tax doing better explaining of how it all worked. So i recommend turbo tax and if you have a very basic return with nothing special in it then run the free edition. My most complicated part was my moving expenses.

13. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Just did my taxes this PM with TurboTax. It said I have $730 coming back.. big "cha-ching" given my pay rate. So I'm happy. :D

I don't like that it's gone up this year, but it always pays for itself (used it last year as well and got a chunk back). I get bogged down in the forms when I try to do it myself, and usually miss out of credits and returns I should get.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

People need to remember that the money you are getting back is not extra money the fact you payed to much to the government and the government got the interested not you. When you have to pay extra in taxes that means you got to keep the interested not the government

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

^^ I do know that, but nonetheless am glad to be having it back. My income goes up and down, so some years it's much less..

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

LOVE Turbo Tax. Did it yesterday and got a nice chunk back. :) It will fund my vacation.

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

:confused:

18. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

When you file a W-4 with your employer, you are telling them how much tax to withhold from your paycheck. Let's say at the end of the year you end up getting back a $2000 refund. That's $167 a month that you gave to Uncle Sam from your paycheck that you could have been keeping (paying down debt, earning interest on, etc.). If you go back to your employer and adjust your W-4 so they are taking less tax from your pay, you will end up with a larger paycheck, but a smaller refund.

I have used TaxAct since 2002, with the exception of the year I got married when I used a CPA due to complications. Once we figured out what we needed to do, I went back to doing them myself. TaxAct seems to get more comprehensive every year.

19. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

OrleansMac said he was a tax attorney for the IRS, so I think he knows about that ;)

He was probably confused by Rodimus's mis-spelling of "interest" like I was at first

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I actually ended up with Tax Cut since my employer has a deal with H&R Block where we get discounts on products. It seems to have worked well and now I'm just waiting on my refund :D

20. djjclark macrumors regular

And if you live in California this year they are going to hold on to that extra money for awhile. If you have a stable income and know your expected deductions it's best to tweak your with holdings so you get very little back. Be forewarned tho if you hold to little out you could be subjected to a penalty.

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

:D

Correct. I was just poking fun at the guy

I do appreciate the explanation though ;)

22. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

oops... That's what I get for reading posts but not paying attention to who wrote them...