Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Hi all. I have a quick tax question for those that may have been in a similar situation. For any of those that get their tuitioned waived by the program of study, did you pay taxes on that tuition amt when it came time to file? In other words, does the IRS view tuition being paid for the student on behalf of their advisor as income?

Thanks as I am trying to budget for any owing I may have to shell out

Edit: I am a US citizen in the US for school

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Hi all. I have a quick tax question for those that may have been in a similar situation. For any of those that get their tuitioned waived by the program of study, did you pay taxes on that tuition amt when it came time to file? In other words, does the IRS view tuition being paid for the student on behalf of their advisor as income?

Thanks as I am trying to budget for any owing I may have to shell out

if it is anything like scholarships for athletes the rules are..
Tuitions and books are tax free.
Living expenses is consider taxable income.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
if it is anything like scholarships for athletes the rules are..
Tuitions and books are tax free.
Living expenses is consider taxable income.

I believe this is true for any scholarship you receive from a higher education.

You should have received or have access to a 1098 form from your school which will help you figure this out too I believe.

I'm hesitant to say much more simply because although I'm also a grad student in a similar position I really do not want to advise someone in something as serious as taxes and not be 100% sure about it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.