Tax Refund & Refreash of iMac Lineup

GunsUp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
33
0
Kansas City, Missouri
Ok here is a few questions.

I am wanting to get a 27" iMac, I was going to get one now due to a 6K+ tax refund, but the gentleman at the apple store said I should wait til the new line comes out, he said it will be "Very Soon" , should I just wait? Has anyone ever delt with Getting a iMac and then the next week a refresh happened? What would be the process, and does anyone think that It will happen soon? (I would like to get a Mac because of my Graphic Design class that uses only i7 27" iMacs). What are the odds of new one coming out in feb/march timeframe? and if one does come out after getting it, how long do I have, some sites saying 10 days, some saying 45 days and some saying I cant trade in. So what do you all think?

I tried the search, but Just didnt find anything that was substantial.:)


Also wanted to add that when I purchase a new iMac, i also was going to purchase the high end MacBook Pro i7 17" with it for travel to school and back.
 
Last edited:

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
973
11
Chicagoland
The return policy at the Apple store is 14 days.

If you will be upset when the latest iMacs come out and you already bought this years model, then you should probably wait.

The new models are most likely going to come out in the next few months. However, what changes those models would have is just speculation at this point.
 

GunsUp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
33
0
Kansas City, Missouri
The return policy at the Apple store is 14 days.

If you will be upset when the latest iMacs come out and you already bought this years model, then you should probably wait.

The new models are most likely going to come out in the next few months. However, what changes those models would have is just speculation at this point.
Thank you btbrossard, yes I would be, Only one in a few years i can actually afford it, so want to make the best of the purchase!
 

bdshort

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
3
0
Sounds like you're in the same boat I am. Wanting to buy an iMac with my tax refund, but waiting on the 2012 models and wondering if it'll be worth it! My refund wasn't nearly 6k though!
 

yashi

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
59
0
It will likely be April at the earliest to coincide with the speculated availability date of the Ivy Bridge architecture, so if you would like an iMac before that then go ahead and buy now. If you're the type who will regret not having waited 3-4 months for a product that is a bit faster, then wait.

Me, I was going to wait, but then decided not to because I realized I have 5% cashback through Amazon this quarter and they had the $1999 iMac for $140 below retail. And to top it off, no tax! So the decision became pretty easy for me.
 

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
255
1
OR


Buy refurb, save a BUNCH of money and don't worry about the "latest and greatest"


Seriously, what will 2012 have that a refurb 2011 won't have? It will be a slight increment from all indicators (maybe 10-15% faster?)

Use the money you save and put in SSD, and a ton of ram, you will be better off.

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A NEWER MODEL.
 

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
2,585
2
NJ
Given what's known about Intel's chipset plans, "Very Soon" seems like a dubious description.

Unless.. hmm.. maybe Intel is delayed because Apple bought up the entire first quarter initial supply. Hadn't thought of that. :eek:

At any rate, the safer bets are on April, not February.