Tax time in Australia! New MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Lunchb0x8, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

So, I stupidly ignored the MR buying advice and bought a 2011 MBA about 45 days before announcement of the new ones...

Now, I have done my taxes, will be getting enough to buy any MBA config I could want... Might need to throw a few hundred in of my own...

My question, is it worth buying a 2012 MBA?
    I mainly play Diablo 3 and wow, as well as working and using it for my music and video management...

I have no interest in a MBP again... Unless a retina 13" with dedicated GPU is on the cards...

2. Blackened Apple macrumors regular

If you sell your 2011 for a high enough price, sure. It has a significantly better GPU, so that should improve your gaming experience, besides other things like USB 3.0, etc.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The performance difference isn't that massive. I'd use this year's tax return for something else, and upgrade your 2011 MBA next year (maybe to the 13" MBP retina that you really want, which may be out by then).

I just don't think going from 2011-2012 machine is "worth it". Yes it's faster... but personally i think your money would be better spent on something else which will give you bigger bang for buck.

Maybe just even put the money in the bank until later this year, the MBP-R 13" may even be out sooner?

4. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, that's the problem, I can't let money sit in my account... I have a problem, if my accounts isn't at $0, I feel like I am being naughty...

5. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

Wait a few months, chances are the 13'' rMBP will be out by then (2-4 months from now).

6. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Please send it my way to help pay for my tax bill ... I owe more than a rMBP!

7. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sucks... I would gladly send the cash your way... but sadly... I kind of don't want to :D

8. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

Ha, i think your wisest investment might be to spend it on a financial management class. Rainy days are on the horizon and it sounds like you will not be prepared for them.

9. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated, but not necessary.

My tax return is going half on an MBA and half onto my house repayments.

For a 24 year old guy with a new house, a wife and a brand new car, I think I am coping.

10. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

Just a tongue in cheek comment matey, based purely on "that's the problem, I can't let money sit in my account... I have a problem, if my accounts isn't at $0, I feel like I am being naughty..."

Like you, I'll be spending my tax return on an MBA to replace my 7 year old Sony Vaio with 512mb RAM :eek:

11. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, I figured as much...

Yea, I don't like money laying dormant, but I do save and do pay bills and debts at an alarming rate.

Your upgrade is probably much more worthy than mine though... mine is purely because I like having the latest.