taxes, taxes, taaaxes!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by youtoo, Aug 26, 2007.

1. youtoo macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2007

I've just bought a MBP + iPod via and I paid 315CAD of taxes!!!

That's a lot of money I wasn't expecting to pay! I was going to pay those taxes if I were buying the MBP in-store in Montreal?

I saw I still cancel my order so... what are your thoughts about this?

Thanks for your quick reply!!

PS: What a newbie I am :/ xD
  2. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    It's just your standard sales tax. You'll pay that anywhere you go
  3. sblasl macrumors 6502a

Apr 25, 2004
    Heber Springs, AR
    Whenever you purchase from Apple, you will pay the applicable taxes. You would have to purchase from Amazon, MacMall, etc., to avoid sales tax. You then forfeit the MBP/iPod deal as that is only via Apple.
  4. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    You dont avoid the tax, you just don't get charged for it by the reseller. You are still responsible ;) for the taxes.
  5. X5-452 macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    You have to pay the same GST no matter where you are in Canada (assuming you're there since you went to, which is 6%. The PST is entirely dependent on where you are though. In Alberta there's none, while PEI has the largest in Canada at 10%. If you were to go in store then you'd have to pay the same taxes. You have to pay taxes on everything in this life.
  6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Ha ha ha...sure you are. ;)
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Some people are more responsible than others, and some get taken down hard as Dennis Kozlowski.
  8. CalBoy macrumors 604

May 21, 2007
    Technically, businesses are responsible for disclosing sales taxes as it's a tax on items sold, not on item bought. The reason online vendors like Amazon and MacConnection don't charge you sales tax is because they don't have a physical presence in your state (I'm talking about the US here). Some MacConnection buyers do pay sales tax, but only if there is a MacConnection store in the state they live in. States know that people are getting around the tax in this way, so some of them are enacting a "use" tax, which is equal to the sales tax rate. Essentially, it would let the state get its money. However, if your state doesn't have a "use" tax enacted, I see no reason to pay the tax. After all, it was never your responsibility to pay from the beginning;)