Taxes when buying in US store

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sergiobaschi, Aug 11, 2014.

1. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

Whenever the new Mac mini arrives, I'll ask a friend to buy one for me in the US. If I would buy today, I would buy the base i7. The price difference in $US is 700 vs 1090 when comparing apple.com vs apple.se (Sweden).

I bought an iPad mini in New York, NY and I remember I had to pay some taxes, maybe like 10% or something. Still a lot cheaper than buying in Sweden.

Is it always 10%, or are the taxes lower/higher in other states?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sales taxes vary from state to state and also depend on which retailer you choose and where you have the item shipped. For example, if you buy from some retailers in one state and have it shipped to another state, you pay no sales tax.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sales tax varies State by State, and some States have no sales tax. In Massachusetts, the sales tax is 6.25%...and we have a tax free weekend coming up, so anything bought over that weekend has no sales tax. Many States have a tax free weekend.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Sales tax can also vary by county and/or city. It's 6% at a Microcenter near my home, 7% at the closest Apple store, and 8% at the next closest Apple store (20 miles away)

The states with no sales tax are Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Ordered new Apple stuff from an Oregon certified reseller several times - 0 tax

6. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

Oregon, Delaware and Montana have no sales tax.

Try not to buy your Mac Mini in New York City - city, county and state sales taxes will apply...

Good luck!

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Just keep in mind, some eu countries require 2-3 years of warranty. The us price includes 1, so if there's a problem at month 15, even flying it back won't help. Unless you buy AppleCare, which closes the price gap.

8. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Last time I looked, the prices were more or less the same all over the world - excluding taxes.
    Wouldn't you have to pay the 25% VAT in Sweden at the airport?

"Anything to declare, Sir?"

And wouldn't that negate any savings?
    Just saying - customs here around has become very adept at figuring out whether a new Mac has been bought in the US or not - even with the NYC 5th Avenue store having Macs with all kinds of country-kits in stock...

9. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Another option may be to have your friend purchase it from an authorized reseller (non Apple Store) that's in another state? You'd have to check for NY, but I'm in a state with very high sales tax and and I buy almost all my Apple gear from an authorized Apple reseller in California. Even though California has sales tax, it doesn't matter since I'm in another state.