Taxes???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by filmbuff, Jul 2, 2012.

1. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Help me understand how Apple charges tax on things. I currently live in a state with low sales tax, but no tax free weekend. "my other home" is in a state that has higher normal sales tax but has a tax free weekend in early August. SO:

If I order an 8gb MBA online during tax free weekend will the online store charge me tax? Also I've been told that if no brick and mortar Apple store exists in my current state, that sales tax does not apply to online purchases. I'm not sure if this is true but if it is does that mean that Apple will deduct less from my credit card than the estimated product+tax cost on the checkout page?

I'm probably making this more confusing than it needs to be, but I'd rather not pay the extra $85 if I don't have to.

2. Madvillain Guest

Online sales tax is confusing for customers because retailers that do not have a brick-and-mortar store in the state the purchase is being sent to are not required to collect the taxes owed to the state. However, the purchaser IS required to send the amount to the state.

It's because of a supreme court ruling that gives online retailers an unfair advantage - the option to leave it up to the customer to pay their taxes on their own. Most people either don't know this or are dishonest and do not pay.

3. SoIsays macrumors regular

Tax free weekend in the Washington DC area is limited to school supplies and clothing under $100 so buying electronics is out of the question.

4. filmbuff thread starter macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Thanks for the reply. After I posted this I called Apple and they said that they do charge tax, even for states with no brick and mortar stores. I will just buy one on tax free weekend. In NC computers count as school supplies.