Taylor Swift's "1989"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sundog925, Aug 19, 2014.

1. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Attached Files:

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

does she complain about an ex-boyfriend in this album?

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oooops.

I saw the word 'Taylor' (I ignored the additional proper noun 'Swift') and a year, (1989), I assumed that this was gong to be a fascinating thread about port wine (as I do rather like Taylor's port, a most excellent beverage), and opened it with a happy anticipation of joining in such a discussion.

Unfortunately, it is about someone about whom I have never heard…...

4. D.T., Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Funny mistake, but you’ve really never heard of Taylor Swift?

I’m not a fan, and follow mostly Indie/underground music (including really obscure stuff), but she’s kind of hard to miss, she has so much exposure through so many channels: music/news/entertainment sites, Rolling Stone magazine, iTunes, internet and terrestrial radio, TV - she’s won a number of Grammy’s and CMAs, been in several movies.

[edit]

It just occurred to me, if that’s the case, you’re in a pretty enviable position :D

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, truly, seriously, I have never, ever heard of Taylor Swift; and I am cheerfully and utterly oblivious to (and remain deeply uninterested in) much of what passes for popular mainstream culture, (and sport) especially (because I am not from the US and so remain ignorant of much of mainstream cultural references) much of that which comes from the US.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Don't feel too bad, not that you really do over this topic, but I barely know who she is and I live in the US, obviously. ;)

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, as you have probably realised, I don't feel bad, at all. Or, rather, I don't feel bad about not knowing who she is, and what she is about.

Rather, I do, however, feel bad that this is not a thread dedicated to the discussion of rich, luscious, aged Taylor port wines……- which is what I had thought it was when I first took a tentative peek at it -

Seriously, the 20 year old Taylor's is simply superb, sheer velvet, while the 10 year old shows terrific signs of depth and mellowness of flavour…..

8. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I’m glad as that wasn’t my intent in the least :) I was just surprised that anyone had managed to _avoid_ her, especially anyone that spends a decent amount of time online.

I also didn’t factor in your geography (which I admit, I wasn’t aware of).

If I “had my rathers”, I’d rather have not heard of her, or Justin Beiber, or the 100s of other acts that I can’t seem to avoid. :D

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That album cover is "already iconic" even before its release? How does that happen?

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, I am from Old Europe…….and utterly unaffected by much of what passes for mainstream culture in the US, as my cultural preferences & references are very much Old Europe, too....

Being online a fair bit does not really address gaps in one's knowledge, (unless one seeks to do so), as the threads I frequent tend to reflect my interests (politics, history, books, music, coffee…..and sometimes photography…)

Mind you, it does not hurt to have a nodding acquaintance with some of it, this I will readily concede, if only to be able to make conversation (or understand) references, once in a while…….

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Funny thing was that I was never going to even look at this thread, let alone make a reply in it until I saw your username scroll by in the Forum Spy that you replied to it. I saw that and instantly wondered what she would have to say about this Taylor Swift person!

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Now, I am laughing, and I opened the thread, and decided to reply simply and solely as a misunderstanding, as I had assumed that we were about to discuss Taylor's port wine…….(a personal favourite of mine, as I am sure you understand by now….) and I thought that my misunderstanding was actually rather funny…...

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'd much rather discuss the Taylor Port Wine myself too!

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'd like to listen to the actual music first before having an opinion on it, thank you.

I liked her last few albums though.

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Well then, here's something to listen to: "Shake It Off", the lead single from the album...

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If that is her debut single then meh, I think the worse debut single for her yet. POP needs a hook, this one barely has what I would call a hook. At least the drum stick sound is repetitive enough :rolleyes: Needs more 'shake it off' hooks at the beginning middle etc except the ending. lol

17. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Agreed. This song was nothing special to me. Most of her other songs are actually pretty catchy, but this song is blah.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The record companies follow the latest, track-proven trend, producing POP tunes that are safe and familiar, that use predictable chord progressions. Innovate? God no. They might lose money doing that!!! The lyrical hook seem to grow safer and more bland... until you hardly notice them at all.

Personally, I don't find "Shake It Up" to be all that bad, but it's not exactly breaking new ground.

In the video below, Brett Domino points out the three key elements that almost guarantee that a pop song will be a hit in 2014:

1) a wonky horn sample over a funky beat
    2) a sexy, provocative, easily repeatable (maybe nonsensical) vocal hook and
    3) a handful of generic verse lyrics that reiterate the provocative theme of the hook​

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yes, basically what I said… Again not enough hook (shake it off) in the beginning and middle part of the song. Basic POP arrangement. The hook in those parts are almost lost in between the reiterations.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is sad when pop music today is so bad that it makes Milli Vanilli sound good.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Buying her new album is #5 on my to-do list, right after catching my junk in a zipper.

22. Limey77 macrumors regular

I have as yet unopened bottles of both Taylors and Does 1977, a very, very good vintage. I did however drink my 1980 Taylors, which was delicious and was lucky enough to try a 58 Quinta do Noval while I was researching the book I helped write about wine. Truly delicious and something very special!

23. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Holy smokes, I definitely do _not_ want to know items #1-3 on your list ...

:D

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And what could be worse than 4. :p

25. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Today's music does nothing for me, especially the pop and rap crap that's popular today. BTW, I've heard her name before, but I couldn't pick out one of her songs on the radio if my life depended on it.