Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Quick question, can I use the ports on my MBP (USB3, FW800, etc.) when connected to the TB display? If I can then I may aswell get a refurbed TB display and go from there. If not would it be worth is to get that belkin TB adapter hub and connect it to a TV via mini DV to HDMI? I imagine I could get a good display for around 200-300$ and the belkin hub is 400$ so it still comes out cheaper than the 829$ refurb. What do yall think?

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
I've got the TBD so I'm biased and will always suggest that. My desk is neater as I have so few cables all over the place.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you want a 25600x1440 17" narrow gamut monitor IPS monitor, the ATD is a excellent choice. If you add in the integrated camera, speakers and thunderbolt docking features, you have a combo that no over vendor has at any price point. The closest would be purchasing a nice monitor with speakers and then purchasing a Belkin thunderbolt docking station ($399) when it is released. BTW, neither the 3rd party monitor nor the docking station is not covered by Apple Care.

Consider a refurbed ATD ($829 from Apple) or a new one from B&H ($929)....depending on which costs less with tax and shipping. The refurbed ones come with full warranty and can be covered by Apple Care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.