TB Display and MBP Ports

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pbmagnet4, Nov 14, 2012.

1. pbmagnet4 macrumors regular

Quick question, can I use the ports on my MBP (USB3, FW800, etc.) when connected to the TB display? If I can then I may aswell get a refurbed TB display and go from there. If not would it be worth is to get that belkin TB adapter hub and connect it to a TV via mini DV to HDMI? I imagine I could get a good display for around 200-300$ and the belkin hub is 400$ so it still comes out cheaper than the 829$ refurb. What do yall think?

2. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

Yes, all the ports on the MBP continue to function as normal.

3. pbmagnet4 thread starter macrumors regular

Alrighty, that sounds promising.
    So what would be the better the TB setup or belkin with an alternate monitor?

4. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I've got the TBD so I'm biased and will always suggest that. My desk is neater as I have so few cables all over the place.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you want a 25600x1440 17" narrow gamut monitor IPS monitor, the ATD is a excellent choice. If you add in the integrated camera, speakers and thunderbolt docking features, you have a combo that no over vendor has at any price point. The closest would be purchasing a nice monitor with speakers and then purchasing a Belkin thunderbolt docking station ($399) when it is released. BTW, neither the 3rd party monitor nor the docking station is not covered by Apple Care.

Consider a refurbed ATD ($829 from Apple) or a new one from B&H ($929)....depending on which costs less with tax and shipping. The refurbed ones come with full warranty and can be covered by Apple Care.