TB display doesn't work right under Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pesos, Sep 25, 2011.

1. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

I went out and picked up a TB display last night to pair with my 2011 mbp. I live in windows about 95% of the time and expected there to be no issues with the basic usb hub built into the display – unfortunately that does not seem to be the case.

My Apple usb keyboard (also brand new) and dell usb mouse both hang/freeze/work erratically when connected to the back of the display, as does my Jabra pro headset. I can make the behavior 10 times worse simply by using hardware built into the display, such as the facetime camera. If I fire up Lync and start a video chat, my keyboard and mouse become nearly unusable. My basic testing under Lion appears to confirm this is an issue with Apple’s boot camp drivers as things work fine under OS X. The problem happens both under win7 and win2008r2. No issues with hardware plugged directly into the laptop.

The problem appears to be with thunderbolt/drivers as even with no peripherals plugged into the display's usb ports, the facetime camera exhibits the same pauses/lags when used. Pretty crappy release, Apple. Hopefully this can easily be addressed with better drivers.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Apple has never made Windows drivers for their hardware that works very well since that is not their primary focus. It may get fixed one day but I wouldn't get your hopes up on it happening anytime soon. Many more people would rather Apple fix issues with Mac OS X first rather than using that time supporting Winblows.

3. paulisme macrumors 6502

Did you update the Thunderbolt display firmware in Mac OS?

4. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

Yep.

5. theprophe macrumors newbie

Alot of apples growth is because windows users can now use apple machines, I hope they fix it fast, I want to pick one up in january as my first mac (mainly for PC stuff)

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

I agree with you but that is how it has been since Apple switched to x86 architecture in 2006. Apple said that you can run Windows on your Mac but they never said that they would provide more than a minimum level of support. To this day the Windows drivers that Apple provides do not fully support all of the hardware features of a lot of the Apple products.

7. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Same issues here. Maybe a future BootCamp update will address these issues.

8. theprophe macrumors newbie

Can anyone update the thread if it works properly now with bootcamp, will be getting one in jan

9. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

I'm not aware of any further firmware or driver updates. I have just been going without the USB huh for now which defeats the purpose of thunderbolt completely. Too busy with work and travel to deal with it

10. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

How well does the GB NIC on the display work under Windows ?
    Is the situation any better if running Win7 through Parallels vs in Bootcamp ? I suspect it is just the same.

One of the reasons for getting a TBD is to use the GB NIC, since there is no other option with an MBA.