TB Display used for 2 computer inputs????

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by foto-max, Jun 19, 2012.

1. foto-max macrumors newbie

Here's the scenario. I currently use a TB display with a MacMini 2011 Server utilizing the TB cable. Works well. I plan on getting a MBP with Retina display 2012.

If I hook up the MBP Retina 2012 to the TB display using the usual TB display split cable (power and TB) to the MBP, what happens if I then hook up my MacMini 2011 Server to the TB display using a TB cable attaching to one of the 2 TB ports on the back of the display?

Does the MacMini have any access to peripherals attached to the TB display. Is there video connectivity to the MacMini? Does the MBP Retina have access to the MacMini?

Any thoughts????

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I don't have a clue... but I will follow this thread if anyone tries this.

My usage would be for primarily using my ATD as a second monitor for my pending '12 iMac. However, I would like to attach my MBA to the ATD pigtale, and have it be dedicated to the MBA.

Personally, I'll be shocked if it works. I was assuming that I would need to move the ATD pigtale between the iMac and MBA on demand. I have no need to share attached peripherals.

/Jim

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have a 27" iMac connected to an Apple Thunderbolt Display using the Apple Thunderbolt Cable. If I connect the ATD's cable to my 11" MacBook Air, nothing happens - the display is still driven by the iMac.

I have to disconnect the Apple Thunderbolt cable in order to use the ATD with my MBA.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Thanks,

This is what I expected. I think I'll connect the ATD pig tale to the iMac, and then move it over the MBA when I want to use it with the MBA.

/Jim