TB Hard drive upgrade for G5 dual-core 2.7GHz

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jimidan, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jimidan macrumors newbie

Noobie looking to significantly upgrade the hard drive in my Mac to 1.0 TB or 1.5 TB in hopes of someday being able to edit Sony HD video on it (but that is a different problem!). I have been reading about how much space it takes to run the conversion programs, whew! I don't know what my interface is, could it be SATA, SATA I, SATA II or ATA or what? I have searched the forum and it seems to be something that nobody talks about...where does one learn such info?

Has anyone installed a 1.0 or 1.5 TB hard drive on this machine? What kind (Seagate, Hatachi, Western Digital, etc.) do you guys recommend? Problems encountered?

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The Power Mac G5 takes a SATA drive. Any 3.5" SATA should work fine.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

The only minor caution is that it has a SATA interface rather than the SATA II interfaces that are common now. It is doubtful that it will come into play with new drives, but SOME older SATA II drives would not work out of the box on a SATA interface and had to have jumper pins placed to limit the drive's "knowledge" to knowing it was attached to a SATA bus (even though it was capable of the faster SATA II). Other than that, you are good to go!;)

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I have a single proc 1.8 G5. I installed a 1.5T drive. Seagate if I recall.
    No problems.

5. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I just installed a Seagate 1TB on Tues. on my Dual processor 2.3 GHz G5. Works well! Seems faster than my 300 GB Seagate that it replaced - probably the 32mb cache.

Be aware that there were some issues with the seagate firmware in the last few months and supposedly that's all been addressed, but before you install your particular Seagate (if thats the way you go) check their online checker here:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207931

At first, I thought mine was one of the affected because the serial number matched up: ST310000333AS. But then I noticed a small "*note" stating that if you had the "CC revision" on the firmware you were ok - even if your SN matched up. So, make sure to check that as well.

I got mine at a brick and mortar for ~$115.00 at Best Buy, but if your willing to wait a few days, they can be had online for ~$90. But I wanted/needed it now, because of HDD failure on my original 300GB - and to return it to a local Best Buy if it was one of the bad ones.

Good luck and have fun!

6. jimidan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the useful information...I think a Seagate it is. I have had good service on the one in my G4.