TB MB 13" issue-appreciate input

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPizzzle, Nov 27, 2016.

1. JPizzzle macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Anyone notice that when picking up their laptop after it's been sitting untouched for a few minutes that it makes a quick clicking noise. Maybe it's the pads getting a little stuck - who knows. Anyway, I believe it's the bottom plate, which I tried tightening, but not much change. I feel this may be normal with these aluminum Macs, but wanted to check before playing the exchange game. Appreciate feedback.

2. maerz001, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

maerz001 macrumors 6502

I would appreciate an issue describing headline as an input ;)

3. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

lol

4. ummjackson macrumors newbie

ummjackson

5. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah, the quick noise is only when lifting from a flat surface not lap. My 2011 MacBook Air did the same thing. It's when the laptop is picked up after it's been left on a flat surface-screen open for 10-15 min. I think the noise I'm hearing is the pads sticking a little to surfaces since they're rubber, but it may not be.

6. ummjackson macrumors newbie

ummjackson

Oh, yeah the pads will totally stick depending on the surface. Sounds like that's it :)

7. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

8. ummjackson macrumors newbie

ummjackson

Maybe you're lucky and it hasn't come unstuck yet - but I've replicated it on 10+ machines at this point, it's real. It's also in the 2015 model, just far less loud.

9. Branflaakes macrumors 6502

DUDE, I know exactly what problem you're describing. It's a quick little click/tick sound, when you lift it off a table or your lap. It's almost as if the lower plate isn't 100% tight, and it slightly snaps into place. I've exchanged my 13" TB 2016 model for a new one, and the new one does not have the issue. I recommend you do the same.

10. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine doesn't make that noise when lifting off your lap, only from a hard surface.

I think I figured it out though. It is the FEET-I put the computer on the same hard surface, but with pieced of paper underneath. When lifting, it does not make the noise. So, I think this shows that the noise is the feet sticking rather than the bottom cover being not tight enough. Happy it's not the bottom cover being loose or misfitting

11. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I have heard the noise previously on a 2016 MacBook that now belongs to my wife. It was the pads sticking. Noticed it most when the air was humid.