TB to eSata for DAS > speed vs USB 3.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cassady, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all,

Am on the verge of setting up a Vantec 4-bay USB enclosure as a DAS [4 x 2TB WD Reds] connected to my Mid 2012 Mac Mini.

The Mini is connected to my 46" via HDMI, which leaves me with 4 remaining USB 3.0 ports, and 1 TB port.
    I'm not using the TB for anything at the moment, and it is unlikely I will use it going forward, since TB storage remains prohibitively expensive down these parts.

The Vantec can either be connected via USB, or eSATA.

This has me thinking.. This Kanex converter, would allow me to use the TB out to connect the Vantec.
    This would then leave me with the 4 USB ports, should the need arise, as it occasionally does, for me to have to plug in additional drives etc.

My question is whether I would be taking a significant speed hit using the TB converter over that of the 'straight' USB 3.0?

Anyone use this that could offer some thoughts? Or should I simply 'sacrifice' 1 USB port for the direct route – since I will still have 3 left over to use, which should be plenty...

Apart from TM backups, I also plan on using the Vantec RAID drive as storage for media, to hopefully stream to other devices ℅ OS X Server.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I looked up the Kanex converter and it indeed supports port multiplication so it will drive a multi-bay enclosure full of drives. Personally, I've found using a TB->eSATA hub to be more stable than USB3 when using drive enclosures. And both interfaces are equally as fast.

3. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Thanks so much! It's pricey, but will put it on the wishlist. Think I'll start with the USB, and when I have a bit spare, will order it and see how things go.