TB2 & PCIe External - List

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by driftless, Feb 15, 2015.

1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I suggest that TB2 & PCIe are the keys for future external drives. I thought that I would start a thread that we could update with drives and enclosures that become available. I thought of starting this on Mac Pro sub-forum but I am loving my 5K iMac.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's definitely the future...just not for everyone yet, because it's too expensive. Sooner or later, the prices would come down.

Prices vary across the board, but here's the enclosures that I'm currently aware of so far:

1. Buffalo HD-PATU3 (comes with a drive, but you can take it apart and stick in a 2.5" SSD)

2. LaCie Rugged (available in enclosure form as well minus the drive if I remember right)

3. Seagate GoFlex TB adapter

4. Delock's collection of TB adapters.

3. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

You are right about it being too expensive. I am hoping that this is the year that we see more adoption of both technologies together.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Actually this would best belong in the Mac Peripherals sub-forum.

Thunderbolt's days are already numbered, especially if the rMBA comes sans-Thunderbolt. However, USB type-c still can't completely replace Thunderbolt 2, mainly only Thunderbolt 1.

PCIe SSD adoption is increasing, the main obstacle like you mentioned is cost, which is coming down. MBAs and rMBPs now come standard with PCIe SSDs, although one must get at least the 256 GB to see the full benefit.

5. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

Yes, of course. When a moderator reads this would you please move it? Thanks.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Most likely the rMBA will have TB3, which has a new smaller port altogether, along with the capability to do 40 Gb/s.

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The rMBA is rumored to have a Broadwell-based Core M, so unlikely. Thunderbolt 3 may still help to extend the technology further, and hopefully decrease the cost of TB2 enclosures.

8. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Really though, what would you do with Thunderbolt 2 on a Retina MacBook Air, given the rumored processor specs? USB Type-C will be more than enough for rMBA users.

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

With the spotty history of USB implementation, many have abandoned it in favor of TB. I'm thinking that USB days are numbered for drives, except for perhaps portables. USB has certainly failed miserably otherwise.

TB prices are down, USB prices are up.... but then we spend more $$$ for Macs because they just work, TB just works.... USB3 storage is a disaster... too many complications and opportunity for vendors to interpret the USB3 specs differently. USB2 was more solid because it was simple. USB Type-C will be even more of a compatibility disaster. Its pretty much dead before it can get going,

10. carestudio macrumors 6502

Agree most of what you said but dont be surprised to see if Apple jump in USB 3.1 market, they have too, because all other computer builders are working on USB 3.1. Apple can certainly make it better but on the other hand, they would have no way to control device makers. they have a way to do that on TB but not USB3.1 since it's an open standard.

----------

My favorite one is CalDigit's Thunderbolt Station 2.
    http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation2/

It fully utilizes TB2 & PCIe to enable all kinds of interfaces such as gigabit ethernet, USB 3, HDMI, eSATA.