TB3 Docks / Port Replicators

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WickedPorter, Oct 27, 2016.

1. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

As a soon-to-be new owner of the new rMBP - I'd really like some sort of new docking option.

I'd like to plug in one USB-C/TB3 cable that provides the following:
    1. (2) Monitor outputs; I have two 1080p 24" monitors I'd like to use in clamshell mode.
    2. Power
    3. USB 3 - to a USB 3 hub for my now "legacy" peripherals
    4. Some sort of line-out/non-amplified audio out with quality DAC, probably standard 3.5mm jack
    I doubt anything like this exists yet that would work with the new rMBPs, but if it does and as they are announced, I'd certainly like to hear about them...

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

I would probably wait until a proper Thunderbolt 3 one comes out rather than go for a simple USB-C dock.

3. WickedPorter thread starter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

That one does appear to be on the right track... would like something with solid dual external display options though. That one says the MacBook doesn't support it (which I believe), I wonder if you can use that same dock with a new TB3-enabled laptop and use dual externals?

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You should be able to. And if you stick to 2 x 1080p 60 Hz, you should get 5 Gbps USB, too. Anything higher than that (such as 2 x 1440p 60 Hz) and USB will drop to 2.0 speeds.

5. WickedPorter thread starter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Display output options could hardly be better. DisplayPort and 2 x 4K 60 Hz support.

7. WickedPorter thread starter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

My mistake, thanks for the clarification!

8. Rafterman macrumors 68000

I have the Thunderbolt 2 version - excellent hub. But to use that one with dual monitors (without Thunderbolt ports), you have to connect the thunderbolt cable, 2nd monitor (with adapter) and power to the laptop - three connections. Now, it looks like you can hook one USB-C cable instead and get the same peripherals. That's another $400-$500 dollars flying out of my pocket.

Macbooks "coming soon", Belkin hub "coming soon" - is anything ever "available now" anymore?

9. jerryk macrumors 68040

Don't forget that TB-3 support daisy chaining. So one could connect one TB-3 Monitor into another TB-3 Monitor, to a ....

And the monitor can have all of the ports needed connect peripherals like a keyboard, mouse, external drive, etc. I suspect the change of MacBook Pro will help ensure new units appear in the next few months.

Soon we should be able to walk into the office, plug of Macbook into a monitor via the TB-3 port, and have all of the peripherals we need, and charge the mac at the same time, all over a single cable.

10. bbates123 macrumors 6502

11. Rafterman macrumors 68000