TB3 eGPU Support MacOS/Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fob, Oct 29, 2016.

1. fob macrumors member

fob

Will eGPU via tb3 be feasible through windows bootcamp? Is this something Apple has control over?

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I see Bizone has a t2 one that seems to work, but from videos I seen osx doesn't support it, so you have to connect it to an external monitor first? I am so confused by this stuff.

What did seem to work pretty well, is on windows via bootcamp.

Where the 13" was around 10 fps or worse, on all settings ultra, it was 60fps and up on eGPU.

And quite importantly as well, offloading the stress on the cpu, the cpu goes up to 80c and fans a blazing, and then eGPU gets used, and the cpu remains around 50c, and fans dont kick in.

3. RocketHopper macrumors newbie

I am very interested in a MBP 2016 + eGPU set up as well, hopefully we get some answers soon with the non touch bar 13" out

4. sinoka56 macrumors regular

MacOS will probably not support it unless you put a gpu that's supported by apple like the radeon pro 450,
    radeon R9 M370X, etc.

5. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I'm curious too. With the i7 in the 15", a strong TB3 external GPU could make for a pretty powerful gaming machine when booted into Windows.

6. Marhowl macrumors member

Marhowl

Currently, eGPUs work best with an external monitor that is actually hooked up to the enclosure/graphics card itself and therefore it doesn't matter much if it's running via a Thunderbolt 1 cable.

I am currently testing a setup where a base 11" Macbook Air from 2011is getting awesome performance when connected to an eGPU with GTX 960 and Nvidia Web Drivers.

I don't see much difference when connecting the same eGPU setup and a 24" Display to a Mid 2015 15" rMBP that sports Thunderbolt 2.

But now with Thunderbolt 3 I hope can finally get some impressive speeds even without an external monitor :)

The "Wolfe" eGPU was quite an impressive project on Kickstarter. It's a shame they have cancelled it due to copyright concerns. The Bizon company doesn't seem to be bothered, and they still happily sell their eGPU.

7. prakhar17 macrumors newbie

prakhar17

I am also interested in egpu set up.. anyone please guide!

8. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

The Razor Core has a lot of compatibility issues currently because of the "features" of hot swapping and a few other custom tweaks. It is only officially supported by razers laptops with a custom razer TB3 driver. I wouldn't read to much into that test. More generic TB3 expansion boxes will likely have more luck. Another member successfully connected his thunder2 box to the rMBP and had the GPU recognized by the mac.

9. RocketHopper macrumors newbie

Got a link?

10. cube macrumors G5

Bootcamp black screen with RX460.

Somebody is working on a EFI stick for some product.

11. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

12. RocketHopper macrumors newbie

13. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Someone needs to put a GPU in a thunder3 box and try it out... If it works It might just persuade me to sell my budget gaming pc and 12" rMB for the base model rMBP and GTX 1060 eGPU...

14. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I have all the hardware required (Akitio Node, 13" 2016 MBP, GTX 1070) that works fine with Sierra, after software hacks. I just need to get access to High Sierra to see if Pascal support is native and to see how all this works. Also, I need Metal support in Diablo 3. The StarCraft II Metal beta runs well enough in Sierra.