TB3 on a 2015 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrtyHarry, Nov 10, 2016.

1. DrtyHarry macrumors member

DrtyHarry

Not a fan of the new MBP....was expecting something far superior.

However, I do like the fact it has the new TB3 port. I was wondering if there is a way to add a TB3 peripheral to my 2015 MBP so that I can run one of the new LG 5K displays. The 5K Dell has 2 ports, so I can certainly use the Dell. I'm just very surprised that since Apple and LG worked together to get these new line of displays on the market.....how come they limited the use/compatibility of the larger 5K version to work with only the new MBP?

Did they not think there was a market for them for older MBP users? I'd consider one. All Apple and LG had to do was add some more ports to the display. A bad move IMHO.

So....is there a way to run one of these new displays on my 2015 MBP? I don't think an adapter will cut it....any thoughts? If not....I may just get a 21:9 UHD LG or the 5K Dell.

Harry

2. theitsage Suspended

Thunderbolt 3 is the only way to use the LG 5K at native resolution.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Because you need tb3 bandwidth to support a 5k display over one cable. And you need skylake or better to support tb3.

It's a matter of having the latest silicon and ports in the same machine that simple Apple couldn't do it even if they wanted to.