TB3/USB-C to 3.5'' HDD SATA adapter

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nampramos, Dec 13, 2018.

1. nampramos macrumors 6502

Has anyone found a good adapter that will push the maximum speed possible out of a 3.5'' HDD drive via TB3/USB-C? One without a separate power brick for the 3.5'', if possible? Not sure if the TB3 port on the mini can provide enough power to a 3.5'' spinning drive?

Also, I'm having trouble accessing an HDD that was previously mounted on a Synology NAS. It shows up on macOS but I cannot see the actual content that's stored in it. Any suggestions?

2. chrfr macrumors 604

Regular 5Gb USB 3 is far faster than any non-SSD disk, so there's no reason to spend on Thunderbolt. There are a number of USB-SATA docks that'll work fine. You will need separate power for 3.5" disks.

3. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Wouldn't USB eliminate the need for separate power?

4. chrfr macrumors 604

USB can't supply that much power.

5. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

USBC/TB3 I meant, on the new mini. I think theoretically it could, but there’s no such adapter out there...

6. chrfr macrumors 604

Nope, you need external power for 3.5" disks. The logic required to negotiate USB PD protocols is going to be far more complex to engineer than just requiring a standalone power supply. I also don't think that USB-PD supports the simultaneous dual voltage requirements that 3.5" disks have, but I'm not sure on that.

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

chrfr is right.

For 3.5", the drive will need it's own power -- can't run from USB power.
    Best solution if you have more than one drive that you need to "swap around" now and then, is a USB3/SATA docking station. Plenty of those around...

8. nampramos thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I'm still dwelling between getting a Synology NAS again or a dock.

Anyone have any idea how to access the HDD that was previously inside the Synology NAS which uses its own file system on macOS via a simple SATA to USB adapter?