TBD Replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ChumpyD, Jul 9, 2015.

1. ChumpyD macrumors newbie

What does everyone recommend I replace my TBD with? I have a mid 2012 MBP now. Might add a PC or update the MBP at some point but thats down the road.

I see a lot of people are using the Dell monitors. Since I do not have the Retina model I dont think I can drive the 4k display, right?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Why replace a working Thunderbolt display when you don't have a Mac that can do at least 4K if not 4K? Get the Mac first that can do high definition.....then consider a new screen.

3. ChumpyD thread starter macrumors newbie

The TBD is not working well. I have the random black screen and not wake up at all. Sometimes it takes hours or even over night for it to come back on. As of know its been two days. Have done everything recommended to fix it and nothing works. Since no longer under warranty time to start looking at other options.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You should have said it was faulty from the beginning. ;)

I think you are correct about not being able to drive an external 4K or 5K monitor. But you still might want to get one because your next Mac probably will be able to do so. Much depends on long you plan to keep the 2012 Mac.

Also consider what kind of connectors and adaptors can be used. Apple has introduced USB-C connectors in the new Macbook. We will likely see the display/thunderbolt port dropped from Macs very soon and replaced with USB-C. The USB-C connector can transport USB 3.1/3/2 signals and it will also do Thunderbolt 3 when the latest CPUs and chipsets start to arrive.......maybe this fall.

So if the very near future we could see a rMBP with only USB-C connectors doing Thunderbolt 3 towards 5K monitors and providing USB 3.1 transport toward other devices like keyboards, hard drives, printers...etc.

I would want to see how this all starts to play out with the fall new hardware announcements before putting down any serious money.

5. ChumpyD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I will check out whats for sale around here but I will more then likely stay at a lower price point. My TBD woke up today after 2 days of not responding. Given my work I need to get something that is at least reliable.