TBD troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ChumpyD, Jul 1, 2015.

1. ChumpyD macrumors newbie

like alot of people my TBD keeps going dark for periods of time. I have tried all the resets but nothing is a permanent solution. Honestly i am at a loss as to what to do. When it does come on in it is usually good till i restart. Then back to square one. Tried new cable running into second TB port and same issue.

So any thoughts? If not then a decent monitor that i could replace it with? Currently the display is hooked up to my mid 2012 macbook pro.

Very frustrated that a 1k dispkay acts like this

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I'd first have the electrolyte caps checked in the power supply of the display. It is a known problem with the switching PS-s.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Mine does this to. Works for weeks then decides to go dark. Unplugging it and plugging it back in after an hour will get it to work again for a while. Out of warranty so I likely will not bother to get it fixed, instead I'll probably replace it at some point with an LG ultrawide or something similar. Or possibly a 4K/5K monitor if I choose to upgrade my Mac as well.

Serves me right for buying an Apple display. I've had bad luck every time so I'm not going to make the same mistakes any more. Meanwhile, my damn 30" Dell 2008WFP keeps running and I can't get the thing to break (so I can justify its replacement), lol.

4. ChumpyD thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. Should have never bought this monitor. A thousand dollar display should last longer then this. Mine is out of warranty to and I am going shopping this weekend for a new monitor. TBD might end up used for target practice :)

5. ChumpyD thread starter macrumors newbie

After dealing with this for some time I finally got fed up and took monitor to an authorized Apple repair shop. New logic board for the monitor later and everything is working well.

Least it was cheaper then buying a new monitor ;)