tbMBP 2017 with broken battery and terrible Geekbench results

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iliasp, Mar 6, 2018.

1. iliasp, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

iliasp macrumors member

iliasp

I have a tbMBP 2017 (2.9Ghz i7) and recently it took a hit on the lower cover resulting in a damaged battery
    In coconut battery app I see that the battery is at around 30% health and 0% charge, it is not charging and laptop is being solely powered by the power adapter

Is it normal that i get really bad results in Geekbench and of course the MacBook feels laggy overall (not terribly laggy but I get the difference in performance)
    Single core scores at about 2600 and multi core at about 9000 are pretty bad

Is the intel speedstep thats making this?
    I have ordered a new battery and I am waiting for it to be delivered

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

If the battery is shot on a MacBook — when the system reads its overall health/capacity as almost completely dead or there is no battery plugged in — the performance is vastly reduced. It’s been like that for as long as I can remember.

I imagine it’s to avoid the CPU drawing too much power and shutting off the system when under load (boy, doesn’t that sound familiar? :p)

So yes, the 0% charge/30% health is certainly contributing to poor performance.

3. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

4. iliasp thread starter macrumors member

iliasp

I do have applecare, applecare+ is not available in my area
    Price for a new top case which comes with the battery is not worth it so i have just ordered the battery which i am gonna replace as soon as it gets delivered and i will post the results

I dont mind cause the was purchased for under 1100 Euro new BUT with that problem which occurred during freight shipping

5. sergeyz macrumors member

sergeyz

As far as I know, if you don't have a battery installed the power supply is not capable to deliver enough power to operate the CPU with the maximum load. Therefore the CPU speed is intentionally reduced when running without a battery