tbMBP to Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crsh1976, Feb 17, 2017.

1. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

So I know this went around a lot, USB-C is supposed to be a superior port, but I'm puzzled as to what I can do for this case:

My team of 5 is getting new tbMBP notebooks in about a month, most of them are 15-inch and I'm getting a 13-inch (with touch bar); we each have a Thunderbolt Display we expect to keep using, but I'm at a loss how we can make them work with the latest Macbook Pros.

USB-C to Mini DisplayPort for video, what about USB and Ethernet tho? Do we need to piggyback several adapters/dongles? Will they even work? Apple has a TB3 to TB2 dongle, which is supposed to work with the Thunderbolt Display, but with the addition of a power source? Some reviews/comments say it's not 100% working, tho.

Sadly, at this time, ordering new monitors with a USB-C connector built-in is out of the question.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

The only option that's remotely possible with the Thunderbolt Display is to use the TB3-TB2 adapter; the Thunderbolt displays only work with the Thunderbolt connection. They do not support use over Displayport or MiniDisplayport.

3. RandomRazer Suspended

are "you" buying 5 macbooks?

just buy the thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. unless there cinema displays they wont work, but if there thunderbolt then ur fine

4. crsh1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it's the TB3 to TB2 adapter or nothing? Alright, we'll give it a shot, good thing it's still discounted.

5. RandomRazer Suspended

u can afford 2016 macbook pros but cant afford new monitors?

6. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I have a 2.7GHz 15" tbMBP and find that it is a good match to the TBD. I had thought of 'upgrading' my TBD to one of the new LG displays, but the TB3 to TB2 adapter isn't much of a headache and the TBD still has the legacy ports I need. For the time being, at least, the two work well together ... much better than I anticipated when I bought the tbMBP.

7. crsh1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tell that to our finance department, it's not like they understand anything to the different connectors used on older and newer Macs. Yes they're buying us 5 tbMBP, no they won't change our Thunderbolt Displays that don't directly connect to them - go figure.

8. killawat macrumors 65816

Most people complaining about the TB3-TB2 connector because they (erroneously) thought it would be able to connect to the classic Mini DisplayPort LED Cinemas. That adapter will work fine for what you're trying to do, all except power/magsafe.

9. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

OP, worry not. My home studio uses both a 27" ATD and 27" ACD to dock to my 15" 2016 MacBook Pro.

The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter connects the 2016 MacBook to the Thunderbolt Display with no issues. The only cable you won't be able to use from the ATD is MagSafe. All ports on the back of the ATD work fine for me (ethernet, firewire, USB 2, Thunderbolt 1).

My 27" LED Cinema Display is connected to a mDP extension cable that runs into my server closet into the back of my OWC ThunderBay 4 array. Which is connected via Thunderbolt to the back of the Apple Thunderbolt Display in the spare thunderbolt port. When I need to dock up at home, I still only need 1 cable. I bought a spare power adapter for my desk so I didn't have to constantly dismantle for power needs.

Works great for me.

10. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Maybe I am holding it wrong, but my Thunderbolt Display is not allowing me to use any of the ports. I plugged it in to my 15" 2016 MBP via an Apple TB2-3 adapter. The display is working, but neither of my hard drives (one TB, one USB) nor my USB mouse and keyboard are working. Is there something special I have to do to get my peripherals to work?

For the OP, the above would be my only concern. Just got my adapter yesterday and the display at least works fine. I would just let your IT department know you need those adapters and not new monitors.

11. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I have 3 USB hard drives and one Thunderbolt drive plugged into my TBD, and all are working without a problem. Perhaps you should have your TBD checked; the USB bus may have failed.

12. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Haven't experienced anything like that. No issues at all. Plug and play for me.

Have you tried verifying if the adapter is faulty (do you have more than one)? Verify ports are working with older Mac?