TC 1TB: heat issue and failed backups

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by micmex, Jun 7, 2008.

1. micmex macrumors newbie

I´m running a 1TB TC since two weeks and was really concerned about the very hot surface. Searching this forum now I know that this seems to be normal :confused:

Question1: I recieved a message during the first backup ("only" 12 hours) that the TC might get too hot. Because it was the third try to do this first backup (the first tries finished with the nice message "backup failed" without any further hint) I decided to check the box "Ignore this problem" to prevent the TC from blinking amber. Is there any way to reset this setting ?

Question2: I didn´t plan to run my TC in a fridge, but in a rack close to some other stuff. Anyone has ideas how to cool it ? I wouldn´t like to open it because its a really new one and I don´t want to loose the guarantee. Operating a fan near to the TC seems a nice idea, in this case it would be interesting wether the TCs internal fan makes more noise or the external one :mad: I read those hints "use some pennies" but I think there should be something better, or ?

Question3: I´d really appreciate to have more control about the backups (how to make some housekeeping in the monthly backups, eg.). Is there a GOOD (=detailed) manual how to maintain TMs internals ?

Question4: Still I´m receiving from time to time "backup failed". Anyone has an idea how to get some information a LITTLE bit more detailed....?

Ah, forgot: I´m using a MBP and a Mini...

....and, PLEASE, don´t tell me to take the TC back to where I bought it :eek: Bought it in NY, but I´m living in México...

Thanks for each advice !! :)
    Michael

2. micmex thread starter macrumors newbie

To help my TC to keep cool I bought a Belkin F5L001er - its a stand designed for laptops with an integrated fan at the bottom. The laptop (or in my case, the TC) is cooled from the bottom. Don´t know wether its just a useless gadget or a good idea, hope it works....:

Attached Files:

3. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend running your Time Capsule in a closed rack. My gets hot as well but I've also heard some people have Time Capsules with internal fans that aren't operating properly which leads to failed backups.

4. micmex thread starter macrumors newbie

just to keep you informed - since running my TC placed on the cooling thing its really handwarm, backups working fine :)

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I´m not a belkin guy... :D