TC 4th Gen troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by polbit, Jul 14, 2011.

1. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I'm a recent Apple convert. Love my MBP and iPhone 4, so I decided to replace my Asus RT-N56U wireless N router with Time Capsule 2Gb, the new 4th generation. I installed it in the same location, and configured it as a wireless bridge, since I already have AT&T U-verse (18Mbps service) and Cisco residential router which works fine.

Here's the problem - it's slow!! I was getting pretty much full speed 14-17Mbps) on my MBP with the Asus, now I'm getting 2-3Mbps with TC. iPhone was getting 6-7 before, now about 1-2. TC is configured for wide channels, same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

I tried backing up 165Gb, but gave up pretty fast. At this point I'm stuck, not really sure what to do. Any sugestions?

Polbit

2. Taank macrumors member

I can't be very helpful other than to tell you my experience with the TC. I have been troubleshooting my parents 4th Gen TIme Capsule for a few weeks...since they got it. They have been having about 3 distinct network issues since hooking it up. The short version is the network is acting flaky and erratic. Tried the best I could to problem solve... 2 days ago I hooked their old Linksys back up to see if everything cleared up. So far, all is well again. The TC will be returned if the Linksys shows none of the problems I mentioned for a solid week. I really wanted it to work.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'm no expert, but could it be that the TC is using (or choosing) a different channel than the Asus router was, and that new channel has interference from neighbors' networks?

If you know what channel the Asus was using, it's easy enough to go into Airport Utility and change the TC to the same one.

Just an idea.

4. polbit thread starter macrumors 6502

polbit

Thanks guys, I've played with WiFi Analyzer to see what channel to set it at, and TC automatically chose the best channel on 2.4GHz. I am going to try connecting at 5GHz only tonight and see if this helps, but I have a feeling the Time Capsule is going back...

Polbit

5. Taank macrumors member

Yeah, the order of what I started with was something like..

Factory reset. Redid network config.
    Put 2.4 on a diff channel.
    Switched everything to 5GHz.

The major symptoms were:

-Losing connection to printer.
    (troubleshot that..ended up wired with static ip.. problem persisted)
    -Network computers randomly appearing and disappearing from the "Shared" section in Finder.
    -Client computers losing connection to a Quickbooks file hosted on one of the computers.

All these dropouts were happening... I never even got around to testing the speed. I wonder if it was slow.

Anyway, good luck. If anything works for you please let us know.. I'm curious to see what work has to be done to make the TC "just work".