TC backup problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soultosoul, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Soultosoul macrumors member

I have a mac mini and a TC/AE. The mini is a late 2012 model and the TC is 3 yrs old (I think).

Somewhere along the way I'm running into problems with the backups. It keeps giving me an error that "Cannot backup because the TC is in use." No idea how to resolve this. This is the only computer/network that uses this backup. Even if someone tried to use it, they would need my password, right?

Thanks for any help.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try restarting all computers and the Time Capsule.

3. Soultosoul thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I restarted the computer. I browsed through the Apple support forums and found out how to reset the AE and found the airport utility screen to do this but it keeps asking for the password. Don't remember ever setting up a password for the AE/TC. I tried my main system password and the one for my wifi network and neither one works.

Dumb question I know, but is resetting the TC different than resetting the AE? If so, how do I do that? Sorry, not totally computer-stupid, but close to it.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Resetting a Time Capsule and resetting an AirPort Extreme follows the same steps. Simply insert a paperclip in the small reset hole and plug into power. Keep holding until the light rapidly flashes.

First I would try unplugging from power and replugging it in before wiping the config off the Time Capsule. You would have to re-enter all your router settings.