TC + DD-WRT multi wifi setup help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pcmofo, Jun 1, 2009.

1. pcmofo macrumors member

pcmofo

I have a FreeBSD based firewall/router that does a whole bunch of cool things. Its the brains of my wired gigabit ethernet network at home. I have a gen1 Time Capsule connected to the network via a gigabit switch, I told the TC to not do dhcp and it passes on the ip address requests to the router. This means everyone on wireless and wired connections are on the same subnet 192.168.1.xxx.

I also have a fon wifi router that is running DD-WRT firmware. I have it configured the same as the TC. I want to set my TC to be N only to get faster speeds for my MBP. and then have the fon router do the B/G for everything else that needs it like my iPhone. I could plug in the fon strait into the switch and it would work but where I have my wifi (in the center of the house) is a floor away from where the routers/switches/etc are. I figured I could use the built in ethernet hub on the back of the TC to connect to the WAN of the fon and daisy chain them together. The TC does not seem to be acting as a passive switch and letting the fon connect to the router.

Any ideas on if this is possible or what I might be doing wrong?

2. pcmofo thread starter macrumors member

pcmofo

I was playing with this all night. Still cant seem to get it working. Does anyone know if the 3 port switch in the back of the Time Capsule is disabled when you disable dhcp?