TC/Extreme RJ11 / RJ45

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elektrizitat, Dec 16, 2009.

1. elektrizitat macrumors member

Hi there,

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this, so apologies if I've got my cable names incorrect, but is there any sort of converter/adapter than alters an RJ11 (smaller, looks similar to ethernet) cable into a normal ethernet RJ45 (standard) cable that I can plug straight into a TC/Extreme base station to avoid using the awful router my ISP sent me?

Cheers.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

A little more information would go a long way in allowing us to provide an answer to your question.

Is your ISP provided router also your modem? My guess is you have ADSL and your current router plugs into your phone line (RJ11) and also acts as a modem. If that's the case, you'll still need that modem/router in your setup. The AEBS/TC is not a modem and requires one upstream.

What you would need to do is either disable the router portion of your ISP provided modem/router or run the AEBS/TC in bridge mode to allow the modem/router to handle the DHCP and the AEBS/TC to act as a secondary wireless access point.

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Although what skorpien said was right, theres nothing stopping you from crimping an Rj45 head on that cable ;)

4. elektrizitat thread starter macrumors member