Teacher Accused of Assigning Arson

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
Once I ate a cricket for extra credit in my high school biology class.
(06-29) 12:08 PDT HOUSTON, (AP) -- A chemistry teacher who was at least three months behind on her car payments gave passing grades to two failing students who stole and burned her car so she could collect insurance money, a fire investigator said.

Aldine Senior High School teacher Tramesha Lashon Fox, 32, was charged with insurance fraud and arson, and the two students were charged with arson.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2005/06/29/national/a120853D82.DTL

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Such a stupid stunt. The teacher is supposed to be a mentor to these students, set the proper example. Now they will have a criminal record if convicted. She deserves several years in prison if convicted. Sadly there is a lot of insurance fraud, we pay for it with higher insurance rates. :(

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I like how she bought her new car before she reported her car stolen.

What kind of car dealership would have let her buy a new car when she was 3 months behind payments on her old car?

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I know students need to link their learnng to real life if that learning is going to be meaningful, but man. Imagine if this teacher had spent as much energy lesson planning as scheming to get rid of her car.

Of course the subtext of all of this is "Maybe we should be paying teachers enough so that they can meet their car payments" ...

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
First its teachers having sex with students for whatever reasons, now this. Whats next, having the students taking someone down because the teach needs someone dead.

Damn, just need to go back to teachers banging students.

... just kidding

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Maybe she was starting her own "Project Mayhem", ala Fight Club. She was just handing out assignments. Some of the other kids probably had to start a fight, and lose. Others had to destroy a franchise coffee bar, etc. I'm sure its all in the name of reclaiming their lives, or masculinity or whatever.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
rainman::|:| said:
hilarity. Where were these teachers when I was failing HS classes? ;)

It truly boggles the mind...I would love to have heard the discussion between the teacher and the kids...

And if I had been propositioned like that in High School, I don't think I'd have believed it, first. But I definitely wouldn't have gone through with it. :confused:

D