Teacher here: wondering if this is possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RonDeGregorio, Jan 4, 2012.

1. RonDeGregorio macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Can the iPad be used like a presentation clicker?

Example:

Is it possible for me to circulate my classroom, and use the iPad to facilitate a powerpoint or prezi presentation?

I am envisioning seeing my presentation on the iPad, and wirelessly streaming to a projector. Is there a wireless add-on that would allow for this?

If there is anything that would allow for this, let me know!

Thanks!

2. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

You can always use the Keynote app (Apple's version of PowerPoint) on the iPad and mirror that to an Apple TV that's connected to the projector.

That's the best and easiest way I know of offhand to mirror the presentation exactly on your iPad and your projection screen, just so long as your projector has an HDMI input for the ~$100 Apple TV, and your school has a dependable wi-fi connection to link it to your iPad.

For slightly simpler solutions, you can do an app store search for "keynote remote." There you can have a good few remote clickers to choose from that could connect to a computer playing the presentation (rather than needing an Apple TV), including Apple's own Keynote Remote that is only made for iPhone but will work (stretched) on your iPad.

I'm afraid I can't recommend anything personally for those kinds of apps, as I've never needed to remote click through a presentation in this way. I'm sure at least a few others here will have plenty more to suggest and elaborate on though!

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The remote app will work if the projector is connected to a computer. Another alternative would be something like Teamviewer, which displays your computer desktop on the iPad.

The AppleTV solution is probably the best, though.

4. toblerboy macrumors member

wow!
    Ive got to look into this - this sounds v cool! Great idea!

5. jdr00ejr macrumors newbie

Thought I'd chime in here on Teamviewer. I love this App/Software and it's free if used non-commercially. I'm not sure if they classroom could qualify as non-commercial or not.

I use it at our Church though. I'm in charge of the Multi-Media System. On our MM Computer I have the Teamviewer persistent client installed. If at any time the person running the system is struggling (or if I'm running the system and have to walk away) I can launch the Teamviewer on my iPad and have total control and see everything the operator of that computer sees (including both screens - as it's a multiple monitor system). I love TeamViewer!

I've also used it many times to help family and friends with their computer.

For the OP - the suggestion of the Apple TV and Wireless Mirroring is a really neat idea - but remember to do this - you need an iPad 2 not an iPad 1. iPad 1 does not support mirroring (unless jailbroken - and as I understand it that still doesn't support Wireless mirroring). Only pointing this out - as I wasn't sure if you were buying the iPad or the school - if you were looking for new or used.