TEACHERS!!! ipads for education

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matteusclement, Jan 24, 2012.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Not students using them in the classroom, just not yet...

But I am curious to know if there are some teachers out there using them in their classrooms?

I am helping my fiance implement them in her grade 6-9 classes. We are using apple TV's and a projector instead of the chalk and talk.

is anyone else using it?

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

If I got to use an iPad in class back in the day, or had a hipster teacher using one... I probably would have paid slightly more attention.

3. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

well that's the idea. I want to extend the learning by either having better media presentations, inter-app utilization and once the class is ready, have students use them.

these smart boards out there are kinda crap and I think that the ipad can do better.

4. iteachai macrumors newbie

iPad in the classroom

I'm a college professor teaching graphic design and web development and I have been using my iPad for everything from drawing up notes to presentations. I use iDemo to share what's on my iPad with the projector in the classroom. There is a bit of a delay in response but overall, it works great. I just walk into class with my iPad while other instructors or professors carry backpacks, text books and binders. :)

5. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

I use one all the time, the kids love it, there are plenty of great apps covering all subjects and it is so much quicker to connect to the smart board than a laptop. Using it for movies is also great, especially documentaries as it is easy to rewind and fast forward, or to pause and discuss things. The laptop the school provides tends to stutter and hang when I try to do that.

You just have to train the students to understand that they need to touch the iPad when interacting rather than the smart board, as the iPad can't receive that input.

6. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Thank you

silly question... do you have any video of you teaching with the ipad? as a visual learner, it would be great to see how you use it.

are there any downfalls or short comings of the ipad in the classroom?

----------

what apps do you reccomend? I will check them out.

I love that you point out the stutter and lagging of equipment from the school. This is one huge selling point I have of the ipad2 and the apple tv. I say,
    "who here has brought in their USB stick to a room, opened their powerpoint, only to find it damaged, corrupted or just not working?"
    THE WHOLE ROOM puts up their hands.
    "Imagine a world where that doesn't happen anymore. Imagine a world with your ipad..." SOLD

7. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

How do you connect it to the smartboard, or are you just projecting onto the smartboard and using a VGA output to the projector?

8. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

that would be my guess. But if we can make them work in tandem, that would be epic.

9. fishcake macrumors newbie

Scottish School Using iPads

Try http://speirs.org/ - interesting read, then drop him an email.

10. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

You are correct, I use the VGA adapter for visuals and an audio jack cable for sound. A USB port would be required for touch capabilities. I must try the camera connection kit one day although I am 99% certain it won't work in that manner.

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

The administrators in our district have them. They can send an email and play solitaire.

We're getting a new high school next year. I'm really hoping they will bite the bullet and go book-less. Our district doesn't get much federal entitlement money so our funds for technology are limited.

12. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I use mine mostly for formative assessment (reading, writing, maths esp), maintaing lists and note taking at meetings - amongst other things. All in sync thanks to Dropbox.

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It would be cool if you had a MBA/MBP hooked up to the IWB, then walk around the classroom with your ipad remotely linked. Then when you need a pupil to show an answer, simply have him/her draw on the ipad (or click on the appropriate answer or whatever), and her solution would appear on the screen. :cool:

But my main concern is, do these actually help the pupils learn, or is it just adding more style sans the substance? :confused:I can create the spiffiest powerpoint slides to impress my class, but if they do not take away anything useful at the end of the day...

14. clothesfee macrumors newbie

I just investigated the current situation in most of Chinese college and universities. The iPad is still considered to be a game device. This is because PCs are vastly used during the past decades, and it could be uneasy to transfer all kinds of data and softwares onto an iPad.

15. iteachai macrumors newbie

Sorry but I don't have any videos of me using the iPad in my class but I can recommend some apps.

We have an iMac as the instructional machine in the lab but I like to bring in my MBP because of admin restrictions etc... when setting up wireless devices.

I use mobile mouse to control my laptop from around the room. this way it allows me to make my way around the room and also give a more engaging presentation/lecture.

Good Reader is another app I use for PDF presentations.

iDemo with ScreenSplitr allows me to project exactly what is on my iPad to the projector. a regular iPad to VGA won't allow that for all your apps, only specific apps like Video, Photos...

Print n Share for wireless printing of class notes, assignment briefs etc...

FTP On The Go - we have our own server in my department and we use it to distribute learning materials, and we also use it for submission of digital projects and assignments from our students. I use FTP On The Go to create hand in folders, download student work and grade it by writing comments on the digital file and re-uploading it for the student to review.

i also use more specific design apps that are specific to my program but the above are the main apps that I think all teachers would find handy.

----------

That's a good point. I find that by allowing the students to interact with the material being taught, makes the learning experience more engaging and interesting for them. I can stand up infront of the class and lecture for 2hrs while using a ppt as well but students will lose interest or nod off... especially when the lights are dimmed ;) The iPad allows me to show the students how to do a particular task and also gives them a hands-on approach to learning, while seeing there results on screen, which is always beneficial.

16. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I'm not a teacher, but 4 of my 8 teachers use iPads in class. Not very useful information but I suppose it somehow proves iPads are a good teaching tool.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It's going to really depend more on the individual teacher, and how they use it.

It could be worse, it could be better, it could be a wash.

18. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Definately. Technology is no pancea. A crap teacher is a crap teacher no many how many bells and whistles you put on them.

------------------------------------

Here is a post I put in another forum, but I think it's relevant here. THOUGHTS?

We need to look at the system in place. I look at a model of public education looking like k-6, 7-9, 10-12, and the post secondary.

Personally, I don’t remember learning stuff from a textbook, but from my teacher. I feel the first place that tablets should be is in the hands of the teacher to enhance the learning experience. The textbook doesn’t teach, the TEACHER teaches .

So looking at a textbook from my viewpoint (in k-12), it is just a set of questions. But to the parent who is helping their kids with their homework, it can act as a learning tool or a refresher

The north American education system is based mainly in linguistics and mathematics. The simple fact is that if you cannot read well, word problems in chemistry, math, physics and others, are going to haunt you. We need to start incorporating Multiple Intelligences.

Howard Gardner (PhD) has shown that there are 8 kinds of intelligences (a ninth, spirituality, is in the works). These eight are: mathematical/logic, linguistic, intrapersonal/self-smartl, interpersonal/people smart, nature, musical, kinesthetic and one other. Tablets will finally allow students to bring the association back to learning.

For example, what is the difference between someone writing an essay on Alexander the great and another making a ballad song in Garageband singing about alexander’s rise and fall? Nothing. As long as the rubric used to mark the students is clear, the marking can be the same. Btw, a rubric on alexander might look like:
    - student demonstrates knowledge in the period of alexander
    - student explains one major war that alexander fought in
    - student lists contributions the romans gave to the modern era during the great peace.

Tablets shouldn’t be in the hands of the students full time until roughly 16 years old. They need to develop proper reading and writing skills if they hope to succeed in their other classes and areas of life. If just used for textbook purposes, I can see potential, but why can’t the teacher show these videos to the class?

A basic kindle on the other hand, should be in every kids bag. The ability to carry a book everywhere has been a blessing to me with the iphone4 retina display. I am reading more than ever now.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here that gets me excited is the prospect of school districts or regional governments (heck, even just teachers doing it on their own) creating their own textbooks. FTW and boil down the information that is concise. Don’t buy the text books at all. This possible move to a peer reviewed but open source education system could be the change that Jobs was talking about. I want to be clear; I am not talking about plagiarism, but content created by teachers and peers. The concept is rough, but I think it has potential. There could even be classes in school that have kids create the multimedia content for the new iBook’s.

As far as post secondary (PSE), I honestly believe it is CRIMINAL how much students are charged for text books. Professors should be required as part of their “research” to create ebooks with peers for distribution to the school. There are 50lbs of books that I will NEVER use again.

For PSE, it should be iPads and iBooks, FTW.

19. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Favourite apps as voted by my students (Primary (elementary) school):

Graham Base's Animalia (and any other book that has little animations to seek out). The Lorax by Dr. Suess was another favourite.

Solar Walk and Star Walk, the first had a group of fifty spellbound for a double lesson.

Board, we use that as our brainstorming platform. It isn't the best app for that use but for young children the visual style was well suited.

Pocket weather, we used that for a term to teach children about the weather and how forecasts work.

Helle Hello Japanese (they have many other languages available).

Counting bear, for the youngest classes. And there is a huge variety of maths apps for older children as well. Splash Maths is highly recommended.

The National Geographic magazine.

BrainPOP, a fantastic science app covering a wide range of subjects.

Boggle, we use that for our fast five English warm up. (Five minutes of trying to make what words you can out of the letter provided (for younger classes we don't require letters to be connected.)

Please touch the exhibit, a science app.

Plus your essentials, pages, keynote, dropbox etc.

20. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

LILO, you are amazing. you just saved me months of research and aggony.

21. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

You are very welcome, I hope some of them help :) Also I forgot to mention that I also use the camera app during class, I focus on students who are discovering something important and then the whole class can review and discuss it. For that though I did have to seek permission from Parents/Guardians and some schools may not allow it. The children just love doing that!

22. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

feedback

here is a write up I made for a principal to understand why there seemed to be so much work involved with technology in the classroom. Any feedback or comments are welcome.

Too often technology is thrown into a classroom with no plan.

To do this is like placing a teenager behind the wheel before they have had lessons or learned the rules of the road.

To effectively implement technology in the classroom, we have to start from the ground up. Unlike driving a car, new technology in the classroom has no rules or support in place to deal with the event of a crash. So we have to create training, support and policy to ensure that less crashes occur with technology in the class.

There are three major components before placing new technology into a classroom.

1. Rules/Policies/Procedures
    2. Training
    3. Support

The policies and procedures will vary from how to troubleshoot tech failure to policies on whether an iPad can leave the classroom.

The training is the second most over looked component next to support. Each class subject will incorporate different aspects of the new technology in the class. Physical Education teachers may use a sound system for dance class whereas the english teach will use it for phonetic pronunciation drills.
    But if there is one commodity that teachers are short on, it is time. By utilizing a database of short, concise videos, teachers could learn new skills to create new lesson plans. For example, if a student is sick at home, it is easy to video conference that student in to watch and listen. Most teachers would like to do this, but don't know how.

Lack of support, in all its forms, is the number one grievance with technology and teachers. One teacher points out that if her projector fails, her classroom grinds to a halt. That projector took a week to replace. "If I am expected to embrace technology in the classroom, then I need to know that there will be back ups in place for me to continue the learning in the class." There MUST be a plan B in place for learning to go on.
    Support also takes on a creative component. Teachers may have an idea for a lesson plan and not know how to utilize the technology to implement that idea. With support from a technology aid, teachers can deepen the learning experience for the student with their material and technology.

Image a social studies class where a lesson on moving armies is shown by projecting a map onto the floor of the class and the students move armies like a giant risk board. Or scrabble played in the same manner.

23. DJBBOX, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

DJBBOX macrumors regular

DJBBOX

well i been working for around 7 years now in the retail of educational materials from elementary up to middle school mostly, and some high school level test prep and text books stuff. I'm a store manager on a school supply store.
    the one thing i always hear not only from parents, but also tutors and education aficionados is that technology teaches the best. technology tools have always been and will be the best tools for teaching. from simple things like videos to iPads, and one of the hardest things to do in this business is to have people (teachers in this case) embrace the technology. work with it, introduce it and deal with the challenges as you go. that is the best way to start and make a change in the educational system. But lots of stubborn teachers make it their mission to keep teaching with tools that were obsolete ten years ago.

Teachers, Professors, and educators of any type need to stop been afraid of using the tools that this generation are craving for. like i said, introduce it now. solve the challenges that they bring one at a time and stop waiting for other people to create a perfect system that kinda works have way. like it happened with smartboards 10 years ago. i still can not believe that is the year 2012 and we do not have smartboards in every classroom in the country.

so my recommendation to everybody even if you are not an educator but you are trying to help your kids, your nephew, your next door neighbor with they learning is embrace the technology now. grab the iPad start looking for teaching apps and start trying to connect that in any way to a system that you can use as a tools to help them. books are not the future. the content in them is what will help us shape the future so it does not matter in what form you deliver that content. what matters is that you deliver it fast, simple and efficiently.

and another thing we should not be allowed to provide tools for teaching our children to teachers. they should be able to provide/create/develope their our tools. if I as a teacher need to use my iPad with the current monitor in the classroom, then i should be able to do some research and find a way for me to be able to use that tool. teachers need to be more involved in the teaching process, not just the materials but also the tools and the technology.