Teaching Mac 10.3.9

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hatchet92882, Aug 6, 2007.

1. hatchet92882 macrumors member

hatchet92882

Ok i'm a lab tech for a after school/teen center. For my class i'm introducing the kids to mac, what would be some good things to teach them and show them. There all used to windows and i want to broaden there views, oct. we will be diving into linux (ubuntu). Just wondering if anyone knows anything good. I'm bring in my iMac g3 slot loading

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

That kinda depends on whether you're just interested in basic computer literacy type things, or more geeky stuff.

Assuming just a "find your way around" lesson, I would suggest going over the major bits of the interface that are different: How the Dock works and how to modify it, the menu paradigm (that is, system-level menubar rather than attached to each window), a basic tour of the Finder (how to make and adjust windows, the three views, get info), really general filesystem stuff (Applications folder, User Folders, and what the difference is), and probably a brief rundown on Safari and iLife if it's handy.

If you want to take it one small step farther into techie territory, explaining, the difference between User and System Libraries, how permissions work, and maybe a VERY brief introduction to the UNIX underbelly (more conceptual, maybe a peek at Terminal) might be good.

3. hatchet92882 thread starter macrumors member

hatchet92882

sounds cool, but i have no clue what your talking about when you come to unix. is there a good web site that will describe these things out to me, i'm a newbee to mac as well

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you have no clue about Unix, then you should also have no clue about Linux :)

They are similar, yet different. Perhaps combine those lessons into 1 for a later time, after all of the basics are learned......