Teaching new convert how to use Mac OS X, what should I show him?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBookG4user, Jul 1, 2007.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

So I converted my friend to Mac OS X and he asked me to come and teach him the basics. I was going to show him how the basics like closing all the windows doesn't quit the program, you don't need virus protection, how to use grapher (he's going to major in math) and some very basic Terminal commands. Any ideas on what else I should show him? I have two hours to teach him before I have to go to my house and get ready for work.

2. canadadude macrumors member

books??

is there any books to buy to help me with this same problem .also one that will help with leopard?

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Teach him how to use Dashboard, Spotlight, and especially Exposé.

A huge tip I learned when switching was to always explore the "preferences" n an application if you were having a question or problem. Like tabs in Safari.

And you can always use this book.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

5. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

As long as he knows Ctrl = Command, I'm sure he'll be fine - there isn't that big a difference from a usability perspective coming from PC -> Mac (though I can imagine going the other way would be hell).

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Teach him:

Command-H
    Command-Option-H
    (I get so frustrated when people close the main window in apps like Mail and Address Book).

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Teach him Command-Ctrl-Option-8, Ctrl+Scroll or Command-Option-+ and Apple-Shift-4. For more shortcuts, show him System Preferences------> Keyboard & Mouse------> Keyboard Shortcuts.

8. scotpole macrumors member

Teach your children well

Command + x = cut, Command + v = paste, Command + c = cut
    Command + q = quit, Command + w = close window,
    Command + L = Make Alias. Aliases can be used to go other places. Think of them as symbolic links or shortcuts.

Spotlight - if it's lost start typing and you can find it.

Help Menus - Look Ma, they are all over the place.

The operating system is still working but the program won't work - Under the Apple Menu in the top left bring up the force quit box. Force quit to your hearts delight.

Apples Technical Library at Apple's site.

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Also, don't forget to tell him what NOT to do. Such as touch the iPhoto library in Finder and re-name the User folder.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Keyboard shortcuts are a good idea. They make for a more proficient user, but they don't reveal many OS features that can't be accessed in some other way. I teach a Mac class at a local community college and I am always surprised to discover how many Mac owners have never discovered Exposé or Spotlight. Demonstrating these two features is a real revelation to them. In fact much of what goes on in System Preferences is unknown territory to a great many everyday Mac users. I also demonstrate printing a file to a PDF, option-dragging to copy a file, and undo in the Finder -- all news to most of my students.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

for all the suggestions about command this and command that... make sure he knows the command key is the one with the :apple: on it.

12. afornander macrumors 6502

teach him how to use disk utility to do everything from formating drives, and burning .dmg's/.iso's to repairing disk permissions.

13. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl