Teaching OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lostfan916, Aug 6, 2008.

1. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

So my friend got a Macbook a few weeks ago and she's been constantly texting me on how to do this and that so I told her we should just meet and person and I can give her a little one on one lesson of the basics. So I'm thinking of just going through Sys Prefs and Applications and telling her how everything works and whatnot, but other then that I'm not too sure on what else to say.

Do you guys have any ideas? :)

2. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Beyond that, I would say:

No need to run apps in Maximized windows, apps don't close when you close their window, crtl + mouse click produces a right click and show her Expose (that's cool).

Have her look at this also:

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

3. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I teach classes at Best Buy, and what I will tell people after the class is that if they have any other questions, as long as they have broadband, I will show them how to go to the video tutorials on Apple's website. Defintely worth it if you dont always want to have to answer the question.

Another idea would show them a forum like this one where they can get all there questions answered quickly

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Apple Stores also have some training classes to introduce you to OSX, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. Maybe she should check one of them out. Online videos are also pretty good.

5. acxz macrumors regular

Or you could invite her to ask all her questions here :p

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I teach classes in OSX at my local community college, and I can tell you from years of experience that no information is too basic. Walking them through some System Preferences is a good starting point, and so is a primer on the Finder, which I find most people really don't understand very well. Dock basic are helpful. Encouraging them to explore application menus gets them moving up the learning curve on their own.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple Stores provide workshops

apple.com/retail

8. lostfan916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

She knows how to use it in it's "basic" form but she said she wanted to know all the "little things." I don't really think she needs an actual one on one at the Apple store, but I will let her know that's available and I'll also point her to the online vids because those can be pretty helpful for beginners.

Thanks, this is helpful, I wasn't going to focus on Finder and the Dock, but there is a lot to learn if you don't know much about it.

And of course I will point her over to Mac Rumors. :D

Thanks for the advice.

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Try looking at the review on that book i posted its not "basic"

10. tony4d macrumors member

I second this. Great book for reading, and a wonderful reference manual when you're stuck.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

+1, awesome book.

And OP, I meant the free apple classes at the Applestore, they are not the 1-1 classes.