Team Fortress 2 and iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thepominlaw, Aug 27, 2012.

1. thepominlaw macrumors member

I have an early 2009 iMac base model with the 9400M integrated graphics. Trying to play Team Fortress 2 at native resolution on the 21.5" mac but its really struggling.

Am looking at upgrading this mac to the better spec 21.5 model (1Tb etc) currently out or the 2012 model when it arrives.

Will the new one play TF2 easily or will i have to buy the 27" 1Gb GPU version?

On a completely different issue I have noticed dark marks all along the top of the screen when it rebooted the other day (first time I have rebooted / turned it off in 6 months). Thought it was dirt on the glass but it wont come off. Applecare is still in place, should I contact them to see if its something that can be fixed?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The 6750m and 6770m (in the 2011 21" and low 27") are poo. I wouldn't recommend trying to play on them.

The 6970m (in the top 2011 27") is pretty good. But to get good framerates and a smooth experience at native resolutions in more demanding games (TF2 itself isn't that bad), you really want the 2GB VRAM option, which is only available build-to-order.

For one, I'm expecting this mess to be resolved by the next iMac when it's released. 2012 was a good year for the kinds of GPUs iMacs use. Even if the low spec 21" uses a GTX 650M, that should handle TF2 fine.