Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrayApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
Has anyone tried out TF2 either of the New Macbook Airs?
Is the 13" worth the performance?

CountlovE

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
I have a 2011 Macbook Air 11 inch with the i7 upgrade.. It runs TF2, along with L4D2, but in TF2 I get some strange graphic lag when I have 10 people on the screen.. Not sure if its a bug, or that's how it's gonna be..

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I'm interested in this too. Particularly FPS stats. I appreciate it's not a gaming computer, but it's nice to know that you could if you wanted to.

theguycalledtom

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
This is important and it's a bit of a disgrace that so few reviews have benchmarked this. One of the biggest changes between this Macbook air and the 2010 Macbook Air was the removal of the NVIDIA GPU. Why wouldn't people want to test the impact of this?

Plus, with Valve's "Steam Cloud" initiative, the idea is that you can pick up any one of their games and continue on from where you left off on a different device, no matter where you are. This is especially true for TF2 which has just gone free to play.

Gamers want to leave their gaming machine and be able to play TF2 on their low-powered portables.

I saw some benchmarks for Portal 2 which uses the same engine as TF2 on OSX Daily if that helps:
http://www.steamgames.com/steamworks/ov_cloud.php

P.S. @nonameowns Idiots like you hold the internet back from being great.

Edensuko

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
So any 2012 mba owners play tf2?

I'll get an i7/8gb/128 11" soon. I do have a gaming rig but i still want to know if i will be able to play tf2 at a constant 40+ fps.

Phil22

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Edensuko did you get your macbook air? How does TF2 run if you did?

Cheers

Phil (an avid TF2 player)

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
This thread was started over a year ago. Does the OP play TF2 on a Windows machine or other Mac? It's SteamPlay enabled, so just install it on your MBA and, 11 gigabytes later, see how it performs for yourself! It runs okay on my 2012 13" MBP, which also uses an iGPU like your Air.

Phil22

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
I don't yet have my air, I ordered the base 13inch but stupidly upped the RAM to 8GB which means it's taking flipping ages to arrive! It seems they have to get the poor Chinese sod to put in the extra RAM before shipping it over. I don't think they have any 8GB models in the UK :(

Gpob89

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
I don't yet have my air, I ordered the base 13inch but stupidly upped the RAM to 8GB which means it's taking flipping ages to arrive! It seems they have to get the poor Chinese sod to put in the extra RAM before shipping it over. I don't think they have any 8GB models in the UK :(

The wait sucks, but it'll totally be worth it dude. I did the same, maxed out the processor and ssd. I can't freaking wait!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
This is important and it's a bit of a disgrace that so few reviews have benchmarked this. One of the biggest changes between this Macbook air and the 2010 Macbook Air was the removal of the NVIDIA GPU. Why wouldn't people want to test the impact of this?

Plus, with Valve's "Steam Cloud" initiative, the idea is that you can pick up any one of their games and continue on from where you left off on a different device, no matter where you are. This is especially true for TF2 which has just gone free to play.

Gamers want to leave their gaming machine and be able to play TF2 on their low-powered portables.

I saw some benchmarks for Portal 2 which uses the same engine as TF2 on OSX Daily if that helps:
http://www.steamgames.com/steamworks/ov_cloud.php

P.S. @nonameowns Idiots like you hold the internet back from being great.

The Nvidia GPU in the MBA (NV320M) was not any better than the HD3000 that replaced it. Anyway back onto the MBA, we have a maxed out MBA for testing and it you accept it is not designed for games it does really well.

Games like Borderlands are smooth at native resolution so I would assume that Steam titles like BF2 should be fine as well. However we have not loaded any Steam titles so I am basing the performance on Feral games as those are the ones we have tested on it.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.