Team Ico Collection is real!! (...and 3D?)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

2. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I would like the 3d fad to be just that....a fad. It gives me headaches, as does virtual reality. Spend the extra dough to make a better game, not 3d that does nothing for the product...like Avatar.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

ICO HD + SoTC HD + The Last Guardian + Project Dark(Demon's Souls spiritual successor) = More win than the brain can sustain.

Add trophies to the mix and this just became yum yum.

Bless

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I hear a few games are actually more helpful with 3D from what I read GT 5 utilizes it like you can see a little better who's behind you etc and NBA 2k11 shows of pretty well especially during replays.

5. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Will they fix the camera and controls with Shadow of the Collosus?

That was the most difficult part of the that game, seeing where you were going!!!

I'm interested since I never played ICO as long as they don't charge full retail for both games...

6. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I would personally be pleased if trophies and achievements were dropped. At the minimum, don't pop up on the screen that I got one. It bring me out of the experience.

3d wouldn't necessarily help to see who is behind you. It has the possibility to help you see how far behind you they are.... I really doubt it will make ANY game better. It sure didn't make Nintendo's Virtual boy good :-D

7. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Well, looks like the time has come, the first reviews have gone live!

Looks like they did a great job, graphics and performance (framerate etc.) seem to be drastically improved.

I'd love to pick it up right away, but since my right hand will be in cast for another month, there really is no point in hurrying... :rolleyes:

Anyone else looking forward to reliving those games in HD?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm looking forward to playing them for the first time. Moreso SOTC. I only played a tiny bit of that during college and I wasn't too impressed at the time (felt a bit empty) but I'm sure I'll love it now.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

From slightly hovering below 30fps to a stunningly good 30fps :D :p

Seriously I was at least expecting 60fps, that being said Ubisoft did a piss poor job of SplinterCell Collection on PSN so I have to be somewhat grateful for steady 30fps.

10. Taustin Powers, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I think you are giving the original games too much credit. Steady 30 fps is a dramatic improvement for SOTC! The game had a tendency to dip slideshow-esque framerates in the more heated moments! :)

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

I played both of them on the PS2 ( US versions as I had a US PS2 ) but never finished either. I then sold them a while back. I regretted that decision and tried to buy them back but as I dont have a PS2 anymore and my PS3 is also US I couldn't find them. ICO was going for silly money on Ebay. I was really excited and happy when they announced the HD collection release and pre-ordered as soon as I was able to. Can't wait to play them again especially ICO.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

See that's the great thing about memory and nostalgia - it fades the bad parts out of your mind... Then when you finally do revisit it's like coming down to earth with a massive bang most of the time !!! And not in a good way.

Just read DigitalFoundry's article. It's tempered my excitement to pick these up again, but will more than likely do so anyway.

I want a HD version of PRIMAL and GHOST HUNTER though next.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

I got my North American copy in the post today, just one day before the UK release although it cost me just under £1.50 more. Unfortunately I'm too tired to check it out today and will probably have to wait until the weekend.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Played SOTC at Eurogamer - was pretty damn fantastic. Spoke to people there who said it hasn't really changed since the original it's just a higher resolution. And if so; whoa! Some fantastic environmental effects and movement.

Definite buy but £30 for an old game? I don't do that with the 3DS either :p.

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

It's £30 for two games and not just one. As both are worth playing whether you have played them before or not they are totally worth £30. They are both classics and two of the best games on the PS2. I've not yet played the PS3 HD re-releases but I'm sure they will be worth it. :)

16. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

My copy arrived yesterday. Loving the reversible artwork on the cover insert! It's a remarkably good upgrade of the two games, well worth the purchase.

17. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I bought this yesterday, I only briefly played the game on PS2 before and had been meaning to try it again, so the HD facelift and both games in one was an easy sale to me.

Couple of things I noted though;

1) There seems to be a blurring effect sometimes - like when you look at a 3d image with the glasses off - and Im not running in 3d??

2) At least one of the puzzles changed a bit, the one where you have to jump on a big chandelier - the design of the roof beams is different - and you have to do more than just jump on it.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Bought it...

Game holds up better than the price of Persia classic and splinter cell classic collections, but nostalgia is still something probably best left in the past. Game mechanics really have moved on a lot, so much so that at times both ICO and Colossus feel like they could have done with a radical controller make-over rather than pissing about with 3D-fying them. That being said 3D works well for a change though.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bleh, ordered it anyways.
    Should I start off with Ico or SOTC? I've never played Ico and I'm more tempted to start with SOTC.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Personally I prefer ICO but be warned there are control & camera issues which in 2011 are hard to forgive if you don't have any nostalgia for the original.

21. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I'm just happy to play ICO again. Back in the day on the PS2, the game (at the time) was so demanding for the console that the screen resolution was brought down to 240p for the sake of steady frame rate and the complex lighting for an early title shortly released after launch.

Seeing the game now in 1080p glory is wonderful! I've noticed some detail textures added here and there and the differences seen by many of us in the USA, we are playing a port of the European release which had some major/minor changes.

Finally after I complete ICO I will have the chance to understand what Yorda is saying via English subtitles.