Teamviewer Alternative?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by honeycombz, Mar 27, 2019.

1. honeycombz macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Does anyone recommend a Teamviewer alternative that is preferably free and if priced, doesn't cost $50/mo?

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I’ve used TeamViewer for years and paid $0. Why are you paying $50/mo.?

4. chown33 macrumors 604

5. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

I'm not paying $50/mo but they sent me some email about detecting I'm using Teamviewer for commercial purposes and wanting me to fill out some form and give my home address for verification purposes and I don't want to do that. Not filling out some disclosure form and providing them with my home address.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ah. He hadn’t specified that it was for business purposes.

I’ve “only” used it for “personal” purposes and never paid a cent.

7. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Been using Google Remote Desktop since posting this. Works very well and a nice alternative or backup remote system in case Teamviewer has issues. Obviously has way less features but it is free and has been very reliable.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Can’t say I’d feel comfortable using a free Remote Desktop application from the world’s largest information monetization agency—especially after it’s been caught with its hand in the cookie jar over and over again, but each to his own.

9. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Yea, I'm not entirely comfortable but also not comfortable with Teamviewer sending me notices telling me I'm breaching their licensing guidelines and asking me to send them my home address. It’s kind of an interim solution until I figure out something better.

10. danny_w macrumors 601

I am using Splashtop Personal and it works OK most of the time but it is slow redrawing the screen and drops the connection sometimes. I have never used TeamViewer but was thinking about trying something different. Splashtop Personal is free, and they have business plans also.

11. TrulsZK macrumors member

TrulsZK

I use the built-in software Screen Sharing. The easiest way to connect is:
    1. Open Messages
    2. Click Details on the person you want to share screen with / request screen share
    3. Click the Screen Sharing icon and if I want to Share my Screen or Request Screen Sharing
    4. The person in the other end will get a push notification with the option to Accept or Decline the request

Screenshot 2019-06-09 at 10.27.53.png

12. gilby101 macrumors regular

I paid for Jump Desktop https://jumpdesktop.com many years ago. Works well (better than TeamViewer for my use) and never had to pay for updates.

13. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

We stopped at version 12 since now they moved to a subscription module. No thanks.

14. EDF macrumors member

All you have to do is say you aren't using it for business use and the pop ups will stop. It's not that serious. I mean they have your IP address. I'm sure they can get your home address from your email address and your name. It's not that serious.

15. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Did you send in the form with your home address?