Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riverpoet

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2008
Ugh, baaad. Hopefully 27" is a bit easier to upgrade, as if I do buy it, I'll need to swap the HDD with SSD the minute I open the package. Some weirdos don't offer an option with single 256SSD, sigh.

I've had to open my Mid 2007 alu 27" 4 times, first it's Seagate HDD failed, then the replacement drive failed, then I went 60GB SSD route and now I put in 128GB SSD (preparation for selling it). First time was indeed scary, 3rd and 4th a routine 10 min procedure, but I'm definitely not happy with glued components, never done those before.

MAKRUMORS

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
Miami
Ugh, baaad. Hopefully 27" is a bit easier to upgrade, as if I do buy it, I'll need to swap the HDD with SSD the minute I open the package. Some weirdos don't offer an option with single 256SSD, sigh.

I've had to open my Mid 2007 alu 27" 4 times, first it's Seagate HDD failed, then the replacement drive failed, then I went 60GB SSD route and now I put in 128GB SSD (preparation for selling it). First time was indeed scary, 3rd and 4th a routine 10 min procedure, but I'm definitely not happy with glued components, never done those before.

Dont do that !

Starfires

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Kashiwa, Japan
User Upgrades

Bad, if you want to upgrade RAM yourself or anything else that requires removing the front glass. Makes me glad I bought a 2011.

I really don't understand why they make it so hard to replace the hard drive or add RAM. These are basic operations that could extend the life of the computer.
:confused:Notice I'm leaving aside the cynical possibility that they want you to pay through the nose for said upgrades from Apple themselves.:eek:

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
How much faster could it be with a 7200 RPM 3.5" drive? A 5400 RPM 2.5" laptop drive seems like a (significant) step backwards.

clownie

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
good thing or bad?

I replaced a drive in a prior generation iMac using suction cups to get the glass off, using mac fixit instructions. Strong adhesive tape sounds like a difficult job now approaches impossible. If iMac buyers are generally not the drive swappers or repair types, it becomes irrelevant.
To me, one more reason to wait for Mac Pro. And wait, and wait......

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
At least one person has opened up this new iMac and said taking it apart was simple and the adhesive peels right off. So with a few replacement strips this is likely the easiest iMac to tinker with, ever.

No, that would be the original iMac G5. Apple considered the logic board user-replaceable and would ship it to customers. Virtually everything in that machine was considered user replaceable.

RAM: Two captive screws.
HD: Two captive screws plus three screws and a temp sensor cable (four more screws if you're replacing with non-Apple HD.
Airport: Two captive screws plus two screws holding the card in place.
etc...

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Can any of you true-believers tell us why the iMac desktop computer needs an ultra thin display? Packing things in tighter always has tradeoffs and I don't understand what the benefits here are.

Clearly, there are benefits to smaller and lighter with a portable device such as a laptop, but just why would you choose to give up upgradability and repairability for the very minor aesthetic of a thinner profile when looked at from the side?

Are there any true believers left? We can't count the shills, plants, or stooges who know to bend... let me re-phrase... speak plloyannaical in order to ensure early access to hardware.

Eight pounds is eight pounds less weight shipped. But I digress.

Apple makes big money off repairs and even more by severely limiting ones upgrade choices. If someone figures out how to weld glass to aluminum, Apple will be the first to employ it.

P.S. Why is it taking so long to release a MacPro? $5 says they are trying to work out some limitation to the design that makes it non user upgradable.

----------

I want to agree with you but I think over 90% of the population have never opened a PC...

Please take note of how many (local) places sell PCs and don't get into service revenue stream. I understand you may mean end users opening the box rather than taking it to the Squad.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Why is Apple hesitating to jump on the 802.11ac bandwagon? They're were on 802.11n very early on and it didn't come back to bite them.

This thread pretty much mirrors the exact same complaints when the first iMac came out that had an integrated design (the first one after the lamp-style ones).

In general people that need upgradability aren't buying iMacs. They have ALWAYS been a pain in the ass to take apart. For awhile they didn't even have a RAM compartment. Seriously the number of complainers VASTLY outweighs the number of people who have actually taken one apart.

The 27 inch iMac still has upgradable RAM through a special compartment, so it's still a possibility with that model.

Just get over it, there is no need to be upset over something you can't control and something you don't need to care about.

False. Every iMac has had access to RAM slots via a phillips head screwdriver. Even the tray loading iMac A/B/C/D was easy to RAM swap. I have changed RAM in every single model of Macintosh going back to the SE. Ever clipped a resistor?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Consumer Reports disagrees.

----------

I will keep my fingers crossed. I miss the Power Mac.

Good point, though I think the 300-400 dollar crap piles are causing an issue. Though I've never bought a computer that cheap before, the cheapest PC towers I've bought are between 600-1000 dollars, and none of them ever gave me an issue.

On the flipside.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-57492376-82/why-i-regret-buying-an-imac/

Sure, an iMac might be pretty, but when it breaks, and Applecare won't cover you, its gonna cost. ALOT.

xMac? I've been wanting one since they got rid of the Mid Towers, I doubt it'll happen.

The Mini might be worth if it, if it had a decent video card.

Last edited:

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Laptop Drive?

I can see space as a reason for the laptop drive. But 5400 RMP? You just won't get the linear velocity at the outside of the disk with the smaller, slower platter.

So Why did Apple go 5400 on the 21.5? You can't even get a 7200 on a BTO.

My guess is that the power supply had to be at the bottom due to thinnovation which left the hard drive to suffer in its glow. The extra heat from the 7200 would not be rejected effectively. At least we have great bass-reflex speakers.

The 2011 iMac brought with it the custom for Apple drive with PWM sending of drive temperature on the power connector. Does the new Kardashian line of iMacs use custom drives?

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
Glue holding an iPad together makes sense. Glue holding a desktop together doesn't make sense. Replacing a hard drive because you've outgrown your current one or it's died is not uncommon. I will still buy a 27" and if I really have to (drive dies for instance) I'll break out the heat gun. But there's no reason for it to be that messy. It's a desktop. Who cares if the edge is 5mm.

There's no question Apple takes their love of aesthetics too far sometimes. Just look at the puck mouse. Total disaster (as is every mouse they have ever designed actually except for the ABD and ABD II).

As for those saying that the iMac has always been a pain to service, not true. The G5 iMac was a dream. You just loosen 3 trapped screws in the bottom and the entire back panel comes off giving total access to everything with no disassembly of any kind required. It was actually intentionally designed to be user-servicable.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Glue holding an iPad together makes sense. Glue holding a desktop together doesn't make sense. Replacing a hard drive because you've outgrown your current one or it's died is not uncommon. I will still buy a 27" and if I really have to (drive dies for instance) I'll break out the heat gun. But there's no reason for it to be that messy. It's a desktop. Who cares if the edge is 5mm.

Lots of people who buy Apple products do, I like my Macs for sure, but I seem to be alone in the whole " sure, make it look pretty, but this useness thinness is completely insane "

Gluing the screen in was a completely insane decision.

There's no question Apple takes their love of aesthetics too far sometimes. Just look at the puck mouse. Total disaster (as is every mouse they have ever designed actually except for the ABD and ABD II).

Or the lampshade imacs, ever work on one of those? Wow.

As for those saying that the iMac has always been a pain to service, not true. The G5 iMac was a dream. You just loosen 3 trapped screws in the bottom and the entire back panel comes off giving total access to everything with no disassembly of any kind required. It was actually intentionally designed to be user-servicable.

This, I actually had to service my original generation iMac a couple times, it was super easy to take apart and get to things, even the DVD drive was super easy to replace.

My 2011 iMac has had a couple drive failures, I've basicly given up with Applecare, because the guy at the bar told me they'll just put the same defective drive in it, so I said screw it and put my own drive in, who cares if I just voided Applecare, this machine has already been a total nightmare.

Now, its still serviceable, just a huge pain the ass.

This new one doesn't look serviceable at all. Explains the 3 out of 10 score.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
What a worthless piece of crap. It's really sad seeing the iMac going in this direction.

Breckenridge

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Telluride, Colorado
Here's the deal, iFixit MAKES MONEY from repairing machines and trying to convince users they too can repair crap if they purchase their tools. So their "3 out of 10" is basically just their profit margins going down. Of course they are going to be "disappointed..."

I'm not sure if they missed it, but this is an ALL IN ONE machine, which by their very nature aren't generally easy to bust open and start swapping things out.

Besides, by the time you are in dire need of upgrading the CPU, Intel switches sockets on ya.

In short, it's cool to see how they are put together, but iFixit's "ratings" are dumb when done on devices like this, Apple or not.

I was able to replace a dead hard drive on an older Mac in less than an hour. Cost: $79. Now I have to send it back to apple because I would be a bit scared to crack the screen and my cost would be around $400. It is a apple's way of saying: give us more money. The new design is cool when looked at from the right angle, otherwise, it really looks silly: narrow hips but a very fat belly.
Cartoon+1.gif

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
My 2011 never felt so awesome.

My 2006 model definitely failed at the right time last year.

I believe I have the best iMac there is if you look at all factors such as repairability, performance, etc...

I'll take the peace of mind knowing I can fix something myself in the worst case over a thin bezel I don't ever see anyways any day, thankyouverymuch.

Glassed Silver:mac

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
It still sticks out a fair distance in the middle

Not really. Have you seen them in person? It's almost like an optical illusion. I expected there to be a big bulge in the back, but actually its really stunning. A clear improvement from last year's machine

Lets get real. Users don't want to open their machines. I certainly don't. So long as its covered by apple care, I couldn't care less. That's the whole point of being an apple user. If you want to deal with computers instead of use them, I bet Windows would be an amusement park for you

Appleisntpefect

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
No thank you

Apple has officially ruined the iMac.

Who cares about "thin" on a desktop?

Mine HAS broken and glue makes repair $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No optical drive?

People, DON'T BUY AN iMAC. Makes no sense. If you must get a Mac Mini (yes no optical there either) and use with a stand alone screen.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.