Tearing Apart PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rageguy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. rageguy macrumors member

rageguy

When my friend bought the PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHz back in 2004, I fell in love with it. I decided I had to get one. So in 2005 Winter, I looked through Craigslist and found one a 1.33GHz model for $750. It was the best laptop I have ever owned. The edge to edge keyboard in aluminum is so beautiful. The PPC eventually got too slow for the photography work that I do, so I had to switch to Intel. Sold the laptop for a measly $250 in 2008 on eBay. Got a Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz from Apple for $650. I was happy with it for a while until that also wasn't goo enough. Sold that for $600 in 2009. Got a new iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz 21.5" for $1700 or so. I still have the iMac right now.

However, I have this special spot in my heart for the G4 12". I always look back to 2008. Why did I sell the PowerBook? It was only $250. Back then I was a student so I can't keep it, but now that I work full time, I wish I kept it. I work as a IT guy for my 9-5 job and last week, someone came in with a good condition G4 12" 1.5GHz! He was going to move on. He wanted the hard drive pulled out so he can have his data. For those of you who don't know what the hard drive removal entails... http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-12-Inch-1-1-5-GHz-Hard-Drive-Replacement/548/1

The user does not want the laptop back. He just wants the drive. My workplace is often busy. Tasks must be finished quickly, which means I do not have the luxury to remove all the screws, mark down where each one is, and re-assemble the laptop back. In other words, tomorrow is Monday, and I will be killing a working PowerBook. The hard drive ripped out, the screws flying everywhere and the computer wrecked.

I'll post pictures of the corpse after.

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I have to ask. Why didn't you copy the data off and erase, rather than rip that beautiful machine apart?

I have a 17" 1.67Ghz HR and 15" 1.67Ghz HR. I also have the same 1.5Ghz 12" but the video isn't working.

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Yeah, just copy off his data under target disk mode, do a 7 pass erase and be done with it. No need to do that.