Tearing down slim iMac for upgrades, looking for a vesa mount to install

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PrintNameHere, Sep 30, 2014.

1. PrintNameHere macrumors newbie

I'm gonna be taking my 2013 21.5 iMac apart to upgrade the drive and memory, and since I'm taking the logic board out to do so, good time to add a vesa mount in place of the stand. Anyone know of a vesa mount that will fit the bracket that the stand bolts too? I know the one from Apple will fit 27" up to 2011 and that the hinge on those is capable of releasing from the outside and the slim iMacs have to be torn down to get to the hinge. I'm just not sure if the bracket is the same and I'm highly doubting it is.

I wanna be ready once I have it apart, so I'm curious if anyone out there has done it on the slim iMacs and what mount did you use? I do know about the imacmount, but I'm looking for better options.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

better make sure you can upgrade the memory first - it might be soldered in.

3. PrintNameHere thread starter macrumors newbie

Its still upgradeable on imacs..... for now, atleast according to ifixit, but its behind the logic board. Putting an SSD in the pci-e slot which is behind it also, so either way, I gotta pull it out lol

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

From the Apple config page for purchasing iMac 21" """

Memory

More memory (RAM) increases performance and enables your computer to perform faster and better. Choose additional 1600MHz DDR3 memory for your iMac.

The more memory your computer has, the more apps you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you get from your computer. Your iMac uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today — 1600MHz, Double Data Rate (DDR3) synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM) — ensuring that the processor is constantly fed with data without wasting clock cycles.

Select the standard memory configuration to support day-to-day tasks such as email, word processing and web browsing, as well as more complex tasks such as editing photos, creating illustrations and building presentations.
    Upgrade the memory in your iMac to enjoy greater performance for more intensive computing tasks and allow professional applications like Aperture and Final Cut Pro to run at peak performance.

Important note: Every 21.5-inch iMac comes with 8GB of memory built into the computer. If you think you may need 16GB of memory in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase, because memory cannot be upgraded later in this model.
    -----------------------------------

Also
    The SSD is not a standard PCI-E device - you have to get an Apple version, which is hard to fid.

5. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Which model is that for though?

It is only the low end 21.5" from 2014 that has the soldered ram.

Even with the plug in ram I think Apple would probably say it's still not upgradeable. By the average man in the street it's not.